PDA

View Full Version : Wrong filedates displayed

Maurits Vlasman
10-25-2001, 03:57 PM
When displaying the files to add to the project, the filedate on the Source computer's files and the Destination computer's files are sometimes not ok.
It seems that on the Destination computer's files list the date is not correct. The 7th of October is shown as the 10th of July for example. It switches the day and month if a valid date is the result.

See for example my printscreen. The file AKIS3.exe was created on the 25th of October, the file README.htm on the 7th of October.

Anyone knows how to solve this?

Maurits

Chandima
10-29-2001, 10:39 AM
That is really wierd!!

What Operating System are you on? How are the dates displayed when you look at them from Windows Explorer? Were all three files created on the same machine? How have you got you date setup to be displayed (mm-dd-yyyy or dd-mm-yyyy, etc, etc)?

Maurits Vlasman
10-30-2001, 04:00 AM
Hi Chandima,

Glad you think it's weird too.

I am running on W2K. It happens both on sp1 and sp2 of this OS.
Dates are usually displayed als dd-mm-yyyy, the standard Dutch notation.

Chandima
10-30-2001, 11:27 AM
Could you send me the three files shown in the attachment. Will quicken the process of figuring out what's wrong. Were all these files on this machine initially or did you copy some of them from somewhere. We made a small fix related to File Dates in Express 3.53 (which is now in Release Candidate) and would like to see if this fixes the issue.

You can send the files to chandimar@installShield.com. Thanks!

Jim Kang
10-30-2001, 02:02 PM
There was a known issue in which some of the dest files' dates weren't displaying in the user-defined date format.
It's fixed in the 3.53 release candidate, which you can try here:
http://www.installshield.com/beta/express/

Maurits Vlasman
11-01-2001, 04:30 AM
Ok, thanks Chandima and Jim.
I will see if this is indeed fixed by ISX 3.53, if not I'll post another message.

Regards,

Maurits

Kate Watts
11-02-2001, 09:41 AM
I'm getting exactly the same problem. Being in the UK my dates should be DD-MM-YYYY. On adding files to my IS project, some dates stay in the correct format, others get converted to the "American" format (MM-DD-YYYY). I have not yet investigated to see if the problem is then causing older files to not be overwritten on the target system.

Kate

Chandima
11-02-2001, 10:12 AM
You might consider trying out the 3.53 beta. We made a fix for this but would like to make sure ALL related issues were fixed.

Kate Watts
11-05-2001, 05:47 AM
I installed 3.53 this morning and it's looking good - the problem appears to be fixed - thanks!

Are there plans to release this fix/update officially soon? The RC version has a dialog which pops up on install...

Regards

Kate

Chandima
11-05-2001, 10:09 AM
We are planning on releasing Express 3.53 VERY soon. It is currently in QA and we are awaiting more feedback from people who downloaded the 3.53 RC release. The sooner we hear about issues the higher the chance that we can work it in to the 3.53 release.

Thanks for verifying this issue for us :)

Kate Watts
11-07-2001, 04:44 AM
Hmm, having said that the problem is fixed, I'm still having major issues with files not being overwritten when the date of the file in the setup package is later than the the date on the target machine.

For example, a file dated 6/9/01 on the target machine is not being overwritten by a file dated 3/10/01 in the setup package even though the date is represented correctly in the Installshield display. This is causing me major problems! :(

J_Shawver
11-07-2001, 09:13 AM
Are the files versioned or non-versioned? If the files on the target machine are non-versioned files, and they have been modified, then Windows Installer will not overwrite them. The date of the source file makes no difference. This is the designed behavior of Windows Installer - the assumption is that modified files could be user data.

Kate Watts
11-08-2001, 03:45 AM
Hmmm...if the files are unversioned is there any way I can force an overwrite if the date of the file on the install disk is later than the date of the file on the target computer?

Chandima
11-08-2001, 09:23 AM
The only way right now would be through a Custom Action. I think Microsoft fixed this with the Windows Installer 2.0 engine but it's rather complicating. I think it has to do with File "Hashing". We are currently looking in to making this "hashing" a little more accessible and user friendly. It won't be in Express 3.53 though.

J_Shawver
11-08-2001, 09:44 AM
One way to force an overwrite of a non-versioned file is to link it to a versioned file. You can do this using Orca or some other .msi editor. In the File table, locate a versioned file that you are sure will be updated. Take that file's entry in the File column, and copy it into the Version column of all non-versioned files you want to overwrite. Now when you run your setup, if the versioned file gets installed, the non-versioned files will also get installed, regardless of their current status on the target machine.

Note that this does not take into account the file date of the source file vs. the target file. Unfortunately, Windows Installer has no mechanism for installing files based on the source file's date.