PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to save/pass variables between dialogs?

BJBear
06-14-2004, 11:00 PM
For instance, user enter some data in the first dialog. The second
dialog will act differently base on user's input.

In Installscript installer, I can save the variables globally. But
in Universal Installer what is the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

CharlesW
06-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Controls which collect user input typically have a variable associated with them. Under "user interface->dialogs", if you click on a particular control, you should see a variable property associated with the control. For instance, if you look at the destination dialog, you will notice that the file browser control has a variable named "IS_DESTINATION" assigned to it. To resolve this value elsewhere in the setup, use the notation "$V(IS_DESTINATION).

thdwlgP
10-13-2005, 06:43 PM
So does anyone know how I can grab the value $V(IS_DESTINATION) once the installbegins, so that I can use it in my script to open a file and copy the same destination as the user input?

I'm trying to find if i can somehow call that value into my InstallScript.java..

(I have a script with the event :
com.installshield.event.product.ComponentInstallContext

and when installing the component I just copy bunch of files from CD image to %temp% dir.

But in one of the files I am copying, I need to change a line of string to equal $V(IS_DESTINATION)...

HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!
-----
Thanks

Xyon00
10-13-2005, 07:43 PM
I use Installshield Universal version 10.5 so it may be different, but I think this works the same in version 10. If so it is very simple.

1) Go to the dialog you have created to get the information from the user.

2) In the dialog editor it shows you how your dialog will look, select the
input field that the user will be entering information into.

3) Look at the properties for your input field control, located on the right.

4) Under the standard properties there should be a property called 'variable'.
Click the elipses for the variable property.

5) Select 'Create New Variable'. It will give you two fields, 'Name' and
'Value'

6) In the name field enter the name you want the variable to be called.
In the 'Value' field you can enter a default value for the input field.
That value will automatically be placed in the input field when the dialog
is shown to the user. You can leave it blank if you don't want a default
value.

That's it. When the user enters a string into the input field, it will automaticlly create a variable with the name you specified and put what the user entered into that variable. Anytime you want to use that variable later during the installation just use: $V(VariableName).