PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Clean Install vs. Major Upgrade in VBScript Custom Action

RPatML
06-14-2004, 06:07 PM
We're using IS X with Basic MSI project.

What's the best/easiest way inside a VBScript custom action to detect if the installation is performing a clean/new installation or if it's running a major upgrade installation?

RobertDickau
06-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Perhaps use Session.Property to see if your "action property" (the property you defined in the Upgrade-table record, usually called ISACTIONPROP1 or OLDPRODUCTS) has any value in it.

RPatML
06-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try.

But, what about putting a condition on an item in the User Interface Installation sequence? How would I write the condition to determine whether I'm in a new, "clean" installation or if I'm in an upgrade installation?

Also, what about a new install vs. a maintenance install? What condition could I put on things in the User Interface Sequence to differentiate whether I'm doing a "clean" install or a maintenance install?

Thanks.

RobertDickau
06-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Same idea: you can put the condition ISACTIONPROP1 for actions that should fire when a major upgrade is being installed, and "Not ISACTIONPROP1" when a major upgrade isn't being installed.

For a fresh install, use "Not Installed"; use "Installed" for any type of maintenance mode.

Please see http://www.installshield.com/news/newsletter/0212-articles/msiconditions.asp.