PDA

View Full Version : Small Upgrade patch, Error 1309 on dynamic files

Toddburke
06-14-2004, 05:58 PM
I am trying to create a patch and I seem to have one hang up right now. When updating, I get the following runtime error:

"Error 1309. Error reading from file: C:\temp\<my program name and path>\jre\bin\beans.ocx
Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."
(I can abort, retry, or ignor)

I can keep hitting ignore a thousand times and it seems to run through most of my dynamic files. The thing of interest here is that the path never exists. It seems to be pointing to a path as if the files are uncompressed. My files are in cabs. But I'm not even changing any of these files anyway. When I build my current release before building the patch, I did make sure that the release is pointing to a previous installation so that it will pick up the same guids.

When I created the patch, it does ask me to uncompress the last release under my current release, so I let it. I can copy this whole "program files" directory that is extracted to the machine that I am upgrading and in the same directory as the cab files are in where the original install came from and then the patch works just fine because now theses sources exist.

Bug? Can anyone help me out with a work around?

Toddburke
06-15-2004, 01:48 PM
I found my answer. The problem is that you MUST create your newer release the same way. In other words, if the previous release was created to have individual cab file for each feature, then the latestest release must also have this same setup.

Once the latest release is created, the patch design will uncompress it just like the previous release. I thought for some reason since it's uncompressed, I could increase my efficiency by creating the uncompressed latestest release right at the start. That doesn't work though. Still, seems weird that it would only effect the dynamic files and not all the other files. <shrug>