PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Mode sets SRCDIR to TEMP

DLee65
06-14-2004, 02:03 PM
When I run in Maintenance Mode (either from Setup.exe on the disk or from ADDREMOVE) the SRCDIR is set to the local TEMP directory on the user's machine.

The problem is that in Maintenance Mode, I want to offer the user the ability to modify the previous setup. The difficulty, is that the setup uses XCOPY to copy files from the CD to the hard drive.

I have tried to set a variable in OnBegin to capture the path, but by the time the setup enters this phase of the setup, the value is already set to the TEMP path.

Is there another way around this so that the TEMP directory is not selected as the SRCDIR?

EDIT: BTW, I the setup is a compressed setup within a single .exe. The reason for this is that the setup needs to be included as part of a "parent" installation, as well as be able to be run by itself.

Thanks.

Dan Lee
Installation Engineer

DLee65
06-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Is there any way to set SRCDIR to the location from which the self-extracting exe file is found rather than the temp directory from which it unpacks in?

The only way I have so far is to always prompt the user to specify the location of the data files. Then I set the value of SRCDIR based on their imput (after a check for key files). This works, but is awkward in that since they ran the setup from the E:\ drive, should I not know that is where the data files are located.