PDA

View Full Version : Later Version Error

viapoint
06-14-2004, 10:14 AM
I created a new installer for my application but when I try to install it I get "A later version of <my application name> is already installed on this machine...

I am dead in the water. I cannot release software promised this week. Any help?

johnludlow
06-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Is there already a version of your application installed on the test PC?

viapoint
06-14-2004, 12:02 PM
There is a version - one that was generated last week. I regenned a new version with a new version number.

I was having the same problem on my machine, then I did something that caused it to work, and even though I did not complete the installation, everything seems to work on my machine even though I have an even older version installed.

Possible other issues: 1) I tried adding the update service to the application last week... 2) problem seems to be in the setup.exe wrapper rather than the msi inside of it. I am not an expert on the difference between the setup.exe and the msi (but am becoming one).

Thanks!

johnludlow
06-14-2004, 12:18 PM
What are the version numbers. I guess it could get confused (not checked the exact text so not 100% sure) if you updated the version number only in the last element and disabled minor upgrades (or updated the product code, I suppose)

viapoint
06-14-2004, 12:28 PM
For some reason, I do not think it is even looking at the version n number - the setup.exe seems to think IT is already installed. It makes no reference to the product name.

Anyway, I changed the last digit earlier. I am going to try changing more than that this time. I will post shortly. Luckily, I am having this problem on a machine in my office and not a user.

johnludlow
06-14-2004, 01:58 PM
It won't make any difference if you have four version number elements, because the 4th element is ignored

1.0.0.0 = 1.0.0.1 = 1.0.0.2 and so on.

What happens if you launch the .msi directly? (doesn't work for Installscript MSI projects)

viapoint
06-14-2004, 02:02 PM
I tried installing from the msi directly and first time it did not work, then it worked. Now I am getting error 1406 - could not write value "VERSIONMAJOR" to key UNKNOWN...

I am checking this out now.

Thanks. I'll post again shortly.

viapoint
06-14-2004, 02:31 PM
I am now getting this 1406 error

RobertDickau
06-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Please search the InstallShield Knowledge Base (http://support.installshield.com/kb) for "1406" to see some possible causes and resolutions; for example, see KB article Q107090.