PDA

View Full Version : Serial number saving

FidoBoy
10-25-2001, 01:04 PM
Can i save the serial number writed by the user during installation to the registry without using any external DLL? Can i get this value using insternal variables (like [COMPANYNAME] or [USERNAME])?

Thanks in advance,

Zbinden
10-26-2001, 12:16 AM
I recommend to use the ValidateSN.cpp template from IS. You can refer to the serial number via [ISX_SERIALNUM].

kind regards
Jurg

FidoBoy
10-26-2001, 03:55 AM
Ok, but i don't need to validate the serial number, i only want to save it to a registry key. It's possible to do this?

Zbinden
10-27-2001, 01:30 AM
In the IDE of ISX just create a registry key of Your choice and attach [ISX_SERIALNUM] as a value.
EG
3 - Registry - Destination - HKEY_CURRENT_USER
right click
select new key
create the following keys
Software - YourCompany - YourProgram - Serialnumber
- Companyname
- Username
set the value of these keys to [ISX_SERIALNUM] resepective [COMPANYNAME] and [USERNAME]

FidoBoy
10-27-2001, 09:31 AM
Ok, many, many thanks... I will try it as soon as possible. ;D

mooseman
04-07-2002, 05:08 PM
thanks for the response on this question by fidoboy, it answered my question too

i was unable to find that key [ISX_SERIALNUM] in the documentation (it works).

am i just blind or is it not there? if not, why not?

is there a complete list somewhere?

i know that some versions of the installers will support different things, but i have been ripping my hair out over this, and it has such a simple solution.

many thanks!
moose.

Chandima
04-09-2002, 04:46 PM
No your hair-ripping has not been in vain :)

This is a bug in the Express documentation and we are finally adding it to the help with Express 3.54.

mooseman
04-09-2002, 06:39 PM
ah. many thanks for that.
i failed to mention that i am using 3.03 borland delphi version.
am i correct in that an upgrade to 3.54 would cost?

if so, then i won't be doing so at this time.
if not, then i will await the release of 3.54.

in the interim, is there a link you can provide with the complete list of [FUNCTIONS]?

many thanks.

moose.

Chandima
04-10-2002, 09:20 AM
Yes you are correct. An upgrade to 3.5x would cost you. But after you evaluate it you might actually consider it! It fixes a lot of bugs and has added a few features and has had a LOT of influence from feedback from this message board.

I'm afraid there is no document or link I can point you at, but you are more than welcome to ask anything you want on this board and I'll try and provide answers as soon as possible. I visit this board every other day (now that 3.54 is in the works) so you should be able to get answers in a reasonable timeframe.

FidoBoy
04-10-2002, 09:34 AM
When can i get this new version? currently i'm using 3.53, so waht are the differences between 3.53 and the new release?

Regards,

Chandima
04-12-2002, 12:21 PM
3.54 is still in development and will be available only towards the end of May or so. In a nutshell here is what 3.54 has that 3.53 doesn't.

Project Wizard
Permissions on folders, files and reg entries
.NET Support
Merge Modules for MSDE1.0 and DirectX8

Other little enhancements include:
Improved VBScanner
Can create setups that do NOT show in Add/Remove Programs - should be good for simulating a "patch"

Project Settings - When you build your project you can specify that a log file be created on every machine your setup is run on

Can add files straigh to the "Disk1" folder
Can create non-advertised shortcuts
Dynamic File Linking is fixed (it's now truly Dynamic)
You can now self register any file (not just exe, dll and ocx) you want
A few nice changes to the media properties
New COM extraction code
Can merge Reg files at build time
More options in the Registry View
Much faster build
Lots of bug fixes

michellehaggart
02-28-2005, 09:05 AM
i have an install of a program and i want to know how i can edit the .exe install to have my serial number built into it so when i come to install the program its already thereor recognised by the installer and not asked for.... please tell me how i can do this and if inded it can be done at all. you can email me any instructions to my email michellehaggarty@aol.com please make them easy to understand

thanks
michelle