PDA

View Full Version : Error Number: 0x80040704 during quick patch.

KNealy
06-11-2004, 08:10 AM
I am experiencing some weird quick patch behaviour under InstallShield X as detailed below;

I created a quick patch project to update my application by overwriting the following files;

EADEquipSch.exe
FHPEADWTAM.mdb
UnitPerfCalcs.dll
WASM.exe
WASMCtrl.ocx

I am not calling any custom DLLs during the update process.

However I received the following message box;

Title: Internal Failure
Error Number: 0x80040704
Description: 'None'

After I close this message box the update proceeds normally, without any further problems! The application is properly updated.

Now when I uninstall the updated application, through the Windows Control Panel Applet, I received these message boxes, in the order shown;

Title: Error
Description: String PRODUCT_NAME was not found in string table.

Title: Internal Failure
Error Number: 0x80040704
Description: 'None'

The application is uninstalled correctly!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

zouInstall
07-15-2004, 01:34 PM
I got the same problem. Did you find the solution?

dbriggs
09-24-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm a DS9 user, so I may not have the right answer...

The DS9 documentation states (once only) that error 0x80040704 corresponds to an exception that is raised when a DLL is called using the wrong calling convention. You have said that you don't call any DLL functions, but could the problem be with self-registration? If none of the updated files is self-registering, then obviously not, but it occurred to me that these are occasions when the Engine calls an external DLL.

If that is no help, you could try catching the exception to see if you can retrieve any further information from the Err object. I'm not familiar with exception handling, but look that up and "try", "catch", and "raise" and the "Err Object" in the Help Library.

Hope that helps,

David

P.S. You must have a dialog that uses PRODUCT_NAME from the String Table, but it isn't there, hence the other message.

KNealy
09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
I've been busy and haven't been working on this issue lately. In Florida, you have to recompile your work between hurricanes. Your insight is greatly appreciated. After dancing with the latest hurricane I will do some research, on self-registration, and let you know the result.

PS. Sorry zouInstall for not replying to your POST, pleeze forgive.