PDA

View Full Version : Creating an uninstallation shortcut

Dogbert
06-10-2004, 10:23 AM
I am attempting to create an uninstallation shortcut to be placed in the start menu alongside my application shortcut. I know this is against "Designed for Windows" best practices, but it's a requirement nonetheless. The help documentation (topic:
"Creating Uninstallation Shortcuts for Basic MSI Projects") reads:

1. Open the Shortcuts view.

2. Right-click on the Program Files folder and select New Shortcut.

3. Type a name for the shortcut. You can rename the shortcut by selecting it, pressing F2, and typing a new name.

4. In the Arguments field, type /x [ProductCode]. Separate the two arguments with a space.
Msiexec.exe is the command-line engine for the Windows Installer service. The /x argument instructs the Windows Installer service to uninstall the product referenced by the product code.

5. Select No from the Advertised drop-down menu.

6. In the Target field, select [SystemFolder] from the list. Append msiexec.exe to this location.

7. In the Component property, select the component with which you want this shortcut associated. To ensure that the shortcut is always installed, associate it with the component containing your application's main executable.

I understand these directions and attempted to follow them... however step 6 is proving difficult. When attempting to set the Target field, a file browser dialog box opens up that allows me to select a component in the installation. I am unable however, to select "[SystemFolder]". The box does not allow selection of directories, only components. Since the Target field is a drop-down field, I cannot manually enter [SystemFolder] either. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated,

MichaelU
06-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Hello Don,
It looks like this may be the wrong kind of shortcut. Please try these steps again, but for step 2, choose "New Shortcut to Preexisting file."

Michael

Dogbert
06-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by MichaelU
Hello Don,
It looks like this may be the wrong kind of shortcut. Please try these steps again, but for step 2, choose "New Shortcut to Preexisting file."

Michael

That was the problem, thanks very much for your help. Maybe the help documentation should be updated also to avoid any confusion.

MichaelU
06-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes it should, and I've submitted a Work Order to ensure that happens. Thanks for pointing it out and verifying the correct steps for me!

Michael

Dogbert
06-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by MichaelU
Yes it should, and I've submitted a Work Order to ensure that happens. Thanks for pointing it out and verifying the correct steps for me!

Michael
not a problem, glad to help

*points you to the "Dialog Layout Editor" thread*

;)