PDA

View Full Version : Error 1316

J_Shawver
10-24-2001, 05:14 PM
I am using ISX 3.51. I am including the BDE Merge Module in a setup that I would like to bundle as a single, self-extracting exe. I tried using Package For The Web to create the self-extracting setup file, as described in the Help. When I run the setup, it gets to the point that it is about to copy files, then gets an Error 1316.

I have found this problem mentioned several times in this newsgroup - any ideas?

Jim Shawver
BCC Software, Inc.

Chandima
10-25-2001, 08:38 AM
The Error translates to "A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file:"

When your build, was is a Compressed build? If so this could be the problem because the build itself HAS to uncompressed for BDE to work. What happens if you PFTW (Package For The Web) a CD ROM Build?

J_Shawver
10-25-2001, 01:15 PM
After testing a number of variations, these are my results:

1. Using ISX 3.51's SingleImage build type, with Compression on, my setup ran with no errors. The BDE installed correctly, contrary to what you said in your previous post, and what it says in the Help file.

2. If I use the CD-ROM build type, with compression on, my setup runs with no errors. The BDE installs correctly.

3. If I create a CD-ROM build (compressed or uncompressed), then use PFTW to bundle the setup into a self-extracting exe, I get the Error 1316. After playing with PFTW options and observing the target machine, I believe I am getting the error because I chose the option Delete Files After Installation Completes. The setup files are being deleted from the Temp folder when Windows Installer starts, so they are not available later in the installation when Windows Installer wants to start copying files.

Chandima
10-29-2001, 10:22 AM
When you used the Compressed build with BDE, did it actually add your new aliases and stuff? From what I know the bdemerge.ini (which contains all the information about the aliases and drives you are adding) has to be on the same folder as the msi. So when you do a compressed singles image it just extracts the msi to a temporary location and run's it. But since the ini file is not extracted there the aliases are not added (even though the BDE engine is installed).

Maurits Vlasman
10-30-2001, 04:18 AM
HI Jim,

as far as I know this is a bug of PFTW. It sometimes deletes the extracted files before it has finished (or even started) the actual installation.
Best thing to do is NOT delete the files after setup!
As Stefan Krueger states at news.installshield.com/installshield.pftw.general:

"It's a good idea to leave the setup files on the machine. They will be required in maintenance mode (select additional features), for repair (reinstall) and to apply patches."

J_Shawver
10-30-2001, 03:37 PM
Chandima --- We do not add any aliases to the BDE. That explains why I do not notice any problems when I use a Compressed build. As long as the BDE is installed and runs, the default configuration is sufficient our application.