PDA

View Full Version : Using Prerequisites .prq files

CFConner
06-10-2004, 08:41 AM
I would like to use prereqs with InstallScript Setup projects - I see that the Prerequisite Editor is available in such a project setup - but I do not see how I can add it so that the installation will check for a particular prerequisite.

I realize that I can use an MSI based project and add the prerequisite to the redistributables.

However, I would prefer to use InstallScript project.

Can anyone assist me with this?

Sincerely,

=-Chris

drock007
07-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Since the folks at IS will not take the time to respond, I will.

Unfortunately, based on another post elsewhere in another forum, InstallShield X does not support Setup Prerequisites in InstallScript projects.

It seems to me that the limitations, shortcomings, and outright bugs present in InstallShield X far outweigh the usefulness of this product. The inexplicable kludge of project types (InstallScript, Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, ...) present the install developer with a myriad of unnecessary rules and gotchas. (i.e. If you want one type of IS functionality, you can only use a certain project type. If also you want another type of functionality, you can't because have to use a different project type.)

It confounds me why InstallShield cannot present a unified architecture that shields the install developer from having to become an expert in all install project types.

It's unfortunate that InstallShield, a product with rock-solid roots that got the job done, has become a product that tries to be all things to all people and is successful at none (except for the most basic installations). This is the same route that "Crystal Decisions/Seagate/Business Objects" has taken Crystal Reports (which we have recently replaced and will not use EVER again).

Sorry if this is a little off-topic - but I had to blow off a little steam.

-drock007