PDA

View Full Version : Install NT services vs. Control NT services

peterbi
06-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Hi,

We would like to include some services in our package, and I wan to do it by setting the service files' 'Advanced Settings'. But I found there are Control NT Services and Install NT Services in the list, what's the difference between them? How should I use them? Can I use both of them for one file (component)?

For example, if I want to install myservice.exe as a service, and want to create/delete some reg entries during install/uninstall, should I use Control NT Services or Install NT Services, or both?

Thanks,
Peter

huntant
06-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Usually both views are used when working with services. The views are fully explained in the IS documentation.

Control NT Service - lets you control how the install will work with the service during install and uninstall.

Install NT Services - Tells the installer how to create the service. Any parameters, does it auto start, etc.

Try using the Component Wizard, this will create all of the required entries for you.

Anthony

smurthy
06-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Hi,

I am also having trouble installing NT service on 7.0.4. It copies the file, but the service is not started. No error reported either. I created the service using the default values provided.

:confused:

huntant
06-11-2004, 09:08 AM
If your service is not starting after install, make sure that you have an entry in the Control NT Service view which is set to start the service after install.
You can double check this by looking in the ServiceControl table. In the event column there should be a value of 1.

Anthony