PDA

View Full Version : Select SQL Server - SQLBrowse

rsknowles
06-08-2004, 03:07 PM
I need to allow users to select a server from a list of available sql servers. I was hoping to insert the SQLBrowse dialog in my user interface sequence and use that to select the server name. Unfortunalely, once I insert it, it never displays a list of servers.

I know that I am probably missing something.

1) Is it possible to use the SQLBrowse dialog in a Basic MSI project to achieve this functionality?

2) If it is, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Shawn

rsknowles
06-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Luckily, I found the solution:

Added the ISSQLSRV.DLL to the binary table. It is located in <ISProductFolder>\redist\language independent\i386\ISSQLSrv.dll
Added the ISSQLServerList action to the CustomAction table. Action=ISSQLServerLIst, Type=1, Source=ISSQLSRV.DLL, Target=ISSQLServerList
Added 2 events to the "Next" button of the dialog that precedes the SQLBrowse dialog.
Event=[IS_SQLSERVER_LIST], Argument=[IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER], Condition=1
Event=DoAction, Argument=ISSQLServerList, Condition=1
Modified the SQLBrowse dialog so that the ok/cancel buttons behave like next/back buttons. Changed the event from EndDialog to NewDialog and set the appropriate dialog in the Argument field.

Now I can use [IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER] to store the selected SQL Server name in the registry and INI files as desired.

olgage
07-24-2006, 06:37 AM
I need to allow users to select a server from a list of available sql servers. I was hoping to insert the SQLBrowse dialog in my user interface sequence and use that to select the server name. Unfortunalely, once I insert it, it never displays a list of servers.

I know that I am probably missing something.

1) Is it possible to use the SQLBrowse dialog in a Basic MSI project to achieve this functionality?

2) If it is, what am I doing wrong?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luckily, I found the solution:

Added the ISSQLSRV.DLL to the binary table. It is located in <ISProductFolder>\redist\language independent\i386\ISSQLSrv.dll
Added the ISSQLServerList action to the CustomAction table. Action=ISSQLServerLIst, Type=1, Source=ISSQLSRV.DLL, Target=ISSQLServerList
Added 2 events to the "Next" button of the dialog that precedes the SQLBrowse dialog.
Event=[IS_SQLSERVER_LIST], Argument=[IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER], Condition=1
Event=DoAction, Argument=ISSQLServerList, Condition=1
Modified the SQLBrowse dialog so that the ok/cancel buttons behave like next/back buttons. Changed the event from EndDialog to NewDialog and set the appropriate dialog in the Argument field.

Now I can use [IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER] to store the selected SQL Server name in the registry and INI files as desired.

It was 2 years ago, but today
I have the same problem, and I was really happy I've found this post. Unfortunately, it didn't help me. I have InstallShield 11 Basic MSI Project. The problems are that after I made all these changes, SQLBrowse dialog still shows empty list (and I checked - there ARE SQL servers), When I press OK or Cancel button on SQLBrowse I recieve an Error: 2856 , with the name of Next screen dialog name :(.

I am a beginner in InstallShield.
If you have worked in InstallShield for last 2 years you should be a master :)
Can you advise something?

Thank you.

hidenori
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
You probably need to add a dummy connection and script in SQL Scripts view. The SQLBrowse function is designed to work in conjunction with the view.

Blueeberry
03-31-2010, 05:07 AM
I know it's a really old thread... But I have a very similar problem.
I have Installshield 2010 and a MSI Basic Project.
I need all available SQL Server and use a cloned dialog of SQLLogin which I’ve modified (just remove the Login-ID and the password fields... The rest is the same).
When I’ve done these steps from above, start the installation and press the next button by the DestinationFolder-dialog (that's the previous dialog of the Custom_SQLLogin-dialog, This dialog is a cloned dialog of SQLLogin-dialog I only removed the login-ID and password fields), I get this error_

The custom action ISSQLServerLIst were not found in the Binary-table. (Or something like that... It's translated...).
After this error, the installation steps to the SetupCompleteError dialog...
What goes wrong ? :confused::confused::confused:
Can somebody help me with that problem?

best regards

Blueberry