PDA

View Full Version : Listing of files included in package

lmurphy
10-24-2001, 10:33 AM
I am trying to print out a listing of files included in my package. We are rolling out a major revision of an application and I need to compare the files included with the previous build with those identified as dependencies with the Automatic Review in one listing rather than on a non sizable window.

Chandima
10-29-2001, 09:59 AM
I am not quite sure what you are looking for. However, for what it's worth I have attached a small exe that will list all the files in the final built msi. All you have to do is point at the msi you built and pless "Extract". This will create a text file named "List Of Files.txt" in the C:\ drive.

This includes files added by merge modules. It will not however list files distributed by MDAC (because our module just runs mdac_typ.exe and has no way of determining what's inside this exe). If you want a list of files MDAC distributed look for the corresponding Release Manifest at msdn.micrisoft.com.

Hope this compensates for what you were looking for :)

lmurphy
11-19-2001, 02:09 PM
I am getting ready to do another build, so I am revisiting this issue. When I do the automatic review, several files are shown as dependencies that are system files that we do not want to include in our build. It would be so nice to be able to print a listing of the files included in our previous build with the files included as dependencies. I am using Express 2.1 and I don't see an MSI file anywhere. The files I do have are setup.1, setup.dll, setup.lib, setup.exe, setup.ini, setup.ins, setup.iss, setup.pkg, setup.pdf, _inst32i.ex_, isdel.exe, disk1.id, and unstub.exe.

I'm not really sure where I'm being unclear. I want to know what files are being installed on the user's machines as a result of my install package. If you don't understand what I need, please write me for more information.

Chandima
11-19-2001, 03:20 PM
I'm sorry this is my fault :)

For some reason I was convinced that you were using Express 3.x. Express 3.x uses the Windows Installer technology and creates the Msi file my exe is looking for. I am not too familiar with Express 2.x though so am not sure how to generate a list of files. Hopefully some other user on this web board can provide an answer.

vu_duke
06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
I am not quite sure what you are looking for. However, for what it's worth I have attached a small exe that will list all the files in the final built msi. All you have to do is point at the msi you built and pless "Extract". This will create a text file named "List Of Files.txt" in the C:\ drive.

This includes files added by merge modules. It will not however list files distributed by MDAC (because our module just runs mdac_typ.exe and has no way of determining what's inside this exe). If you want a list of files MDAC distributed look for the corresponding Release Manifest at msdn.micrisoft.com.

Hope this compensates for what you were looking for :)

Could I run it from the command line..Many thanks.