PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Error during Installation Message

zeplynne
06-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Okay. I haven't had much luck with IS support the past two days in helping me resolve this issue so I thought I would give it a shot here.

Installation of package (this is an Internet application) is fine, and all parts of the software work properly.
The problem is with the uninstall. It goes all the way to the end via add/remove that gets the "Fatal error during Installtion" dialog. This happens via 'remove' or 'change.'

Running msiexec /x ..... helps me create the uninstall log file but it can't remove it either.

Windows cleaner does remove it if it sees it. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Here's some error messages from install and uninstall logs (I am attaching the logs, the *.ism, etc.. I need to put this one to bed so I'm throwing it all out at once):

**Uninstall***************************************
Action start 17:10:10: InstallFinalize.
1: Error with IISRT: -1202
Action ended 17:11:30: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action start 17:13:36: ISCleanUpFatalExit.

**Uninstall**************************************
1: Failed to extract _IsUser.dll, Ignore it.
1: Failed to extract IGdi.dll, Ignore it.
1: ISMsiServerStartup Failure, Failed to Initialize script support, Error = 0x80010105
1: MsiServerStartup failed. Abort installation.
Action ended 8:50:26: ISMsiServerStartup. Return value 1603.
Action ended 8:50:26: ISStartup. Return value 3.
Action start 8:50:26: ISCleanUpFatalExit.

*Tried the interactive logged in user fix in DCOM for this one, no luck though
*Also followed everything from KB Q107182 (unless I missed something)

***Install**************************************
Action start 20:12:33: caExtractIISSuppFiles.
Action 20:12:33: Progress Custom Action. Extracting information for IIS virtual directories...
Action 20:12:33: Progress Custom Action. Extracted information for IIS virtual directories...
DEBUG: Error 2769: Custom Action caExtractIISSuppFiles did not close 27 MSIHANDLEs.
Internal Error 2769. caExtractIISSuppFiles, 27
Action ended 20:12:34: caExtractIISSuppFiles. Return value 1.
Action start 20:12:34: InstallInitialize.
Action ended 20:12:35: InstallInitialize. Return value 1.

All else looks good in the install logs unless I am missing something.

I really appreciate anyone's advice, suggestions, what have you. Thanks.
SMW

zeplynne
06-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Here is the .ism if anyone cares to see it. Thanks again.

davidh
06-07-2004, 04:57 PM
My suggestion would be to try manually removing the directories via the IIS manager and then running the uninstall. It sounds like your system might be in a corrupted state from testing, so perhaps this won't happen in the future on clean machines.

zeplynne
06-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks.

I spent the whole weekend building this app from the ground up. Compiling, installing, uninstalling after each little piece added. Then I made backups of the good state every 1/2 hour for two days.

I did finally get it to run without uninstall errors on most machines, except the two I was testing on last week. I believe your assumption is right, those machines have become corrupted, great thing ghosting is.

Just one other question, I have two VB6 .dlls that do not get removed during uninstall. Nothing in the log file regarding them. All other dll's removed successfully. Is there a way to force removal regardless, etc...? Thanks.

SMW

davidh
06-09-2004, 06:14 PM
That might be a problem with an unclean machine also. You can try deleting the files with a custom action.

zeplynne
06-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks.