PDA

View Full Version : Install regarless of existing version?

petaluma
06-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Hi:

I'd like to install my product regardless if there is an existing verion installed earlier or not. Is there such a Wizard option while building the Basic MSI Project ? Hope I do not need to write script doing this.

Another question, the setup.exe was 1 mb in size while I was using the evaluation version of InstallShieldX. But it is now 2.6MB. Any one knows why?

Thanks for your info.

Michael

Nate Bloyd
06-04-2004, 03:19 PM
It seems to me that you are going to want to set up your package as a Major Upgrade. This way, you can expect your deployment to completely remove and replace existing installs with newer versions. If you do have files that you do not want changed, you can either mark them as permanent or create a script that backs up those files and restores them during the setup.

petaluma
06-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks for your message. I'm using the major upgrade option, but I need to change the ProductCode each time. I hope there is a way that I do not have to do that.

Michael

Nate Bloyd
06-04-2004, 03:43 PM
I am actually running Dev9 right now, but, there is the option to automatically generate a new Package GUID when you build a Release, but not a Product GUID. This may be a bit of good feedback for the Product Managers at InstallShield for a future version. I believe you can submit these types of requests here (http://www.installshield.com/feedback/). There are advantages and disadvantages to using Major Upgrades, one of them is the fact that you must change those GUIDs every release in order for them to work.

petaluma
06-04-2004, 03:49 PM
That's a good idea. I have just emailed them about this feature.

Thanks
Michael