PDA

View Full Version : Installer exits with message "Error writing to temporary location"

rloushin
10-23-2001, 11:13 AM
I am using installers generated with InstallShield Express 3.03 to distribute projects and data within my company. The installer is a SingleImage installer. On most machines, the install goes smoothly. But on a few, I am getting reports that after double clicking the Install.exe, a window pops up that says "Error writing to temporary location." After clicking on the OK box (which doesn't actually say OK in it...), the window goes away and the installer silently exits. The machines it works on are the same make, model, and OS (Win 2000) as the few it doesn't. The knowledge base is silent on the matter.

A colleague has discovered a workaround: on the affected machines, copying the installer to a temp file on the hard drive, and running it from there gives a successful install.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this without resorting to the workaround?

Thanks,

Bob

Chandima
10-25-2001, 07:58 AM
Under what priviledges are the installs run? Sometimes running them under a User profile might be trying to temporarily extract the msi and cabs (from Setup.exe) to an Admin profile. What happens if you run an uncompressed Single Image media on the machines that fail? When it fails the Installer return a specific Error Code? What happens if you clean the Temp folder and then run the install?

rloushin
10-25-2001, 03:41 PM
Chandima,

Thank you for your reply.

The installs were run under Administrator privilages. Also, when one copies the installer to a temp file on the hard drive and runs it from there (under the same privileges), it does install correctly.

I don't think I understand the second question, which was about running an uncompressed Single Image media on the same machine. The installers in question were single image installers, although the data in them was compressed by Installshield when I built it.

Yes, when it fails, the installer returns the message quoted in my original post: "Error writing to temporary location." Or perhaps this message was generated by Windows 2000--it shows up in a box labelled InstallShield but there is no error code or other messages associated with it.

I have not been able to try cleaning the temp folder and then retrying the install because these reports came from the field and the technicians have since left the site. I suspect it would make no difference since adding to the temp folder (namely, adding the installer in question) and then rerunning it from there did succeed.

Bob

Chandima
10-29-2001, 10:31 AM
The problem could be with the compression. It is wierd though because it works on some machines. Instead of using a Compressed Single Image, try using a CD ROM (from the "Build Your Release" view) build. This does not have to extract files to the Temp Folder and might not cause the problem. If this works try using an UN-Compressed SingleImage build.