PDA

View Full Version : ISDEV : fatal error 0

<t-jet<
06-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Hello,

I have an installation script that is successfully buit at my XP machine.
When I try it at a 2003 server, I get the following build error:

-----------
Building scanned MsiAssembly records
Building scanned MsiAssemblyName records
Adding Installer namespace CustomActions for .NET assemblies
ISDEV : fatal error 0:
-----------

It seems it occurs only for .Net installations.
Another installation (without .Net) is buit Ok both at XP and 2003.

Prince
06-03-2004, 12:42 PM
You may want to have a look at following IS kb article

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107879

Hope this may help you in solving your issue.

<t-jet<
06-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks.

I localized the problem.
It seems that InstallShield X is unable to build custom actions for
.Net Installer Classes.

Work around: Add manually all needed custom actions and clear
".Net Installer Class" check.

MartinMarkevics
06-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Do you get the error on both machines (XP and 2003 server)? Can you create a verbose log file of the build process. To do that, use the command line build executable to build your project as follows:

<Path to IS X>\System\iscmdbld.exe -p <path to project file> /v

Please post the resulting log file and we'll go from there.

<t-jet<
06-03-2004, 01:48 PM
The error occurs only under 2003 Server.
The installation is built successfully under Windows XP.

MartinMarkevics
06-03-2004, 01:49 PM
OK. Can you post the log file when you get a chance?

<t-jet<
06-03-2004, 01:50 PM
I'll be able to post the log tomorrow.
Many thanks.

<t-jet<
06-09-2004, 07:44 AM
Thanks a lot!

With verbose log I managed to fix the problem.

InstallShield tries to wtrite to _isconfig.xml file during the build, when ".Net Installer" option is set.

On my 2003 Server, this file was read-only (due to this file was accidentally added to VSS).

MartinMarkevics
06-09-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. I created Work Order # 1-PN6NJ, which will be addressed in the upcoming service pack.

Braulston
06-09-2004, 04:18 PM
I actually just ran into the same problem on Windows 2003 using the Installshield IDE and Windows 2000 using the standalone build. I was able to resolve in the same way. The interesting thing is that it worked from the IDE just fine prior to hotfix 2

MartinMarkevics
06-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Hmmm... In looking at the code, it has not changed for some time so I can only guess that the file was not read-only in your case previously or something else was occuring, but it's hard to speculate on other possible causes though, if that was not the case.

In any case, we updated the code such that it will remove the read-only attribute (if it exists) before attempting to create\update the file. If this operation still fails for any reason, you will get build error -6652 indicating this rather than just fatal error 0 (which you should never have seen to begin with). Again, that will be fixed in the upcoming service pack.

Braulston
06-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Looking back I also changed the Release via the release wizard, this is the point it stopped working. Initially the install was created using the project assistant and all was fine as the xml file was created. I created a new release and since that time the xml is no longer created, copying the file from the original release didn't work either.

tpaxatb
08-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Braulston
Looking back I also changed the Release via the release wizard, this is the point it stopped working. Initially the install was created using the project assistant and all was fine as the xml file was created. I created a new release and since that time the xml is no longer created, copying the file from the original release didn't work either.

I also ran into this problem today. I created a new release which overrides the location of the output (Releases->Project Configuration->Relase Configuration->Release Location != default). Therefore, the two default path variables, ISProjectDir and ISProjectDataFolder point to a directory which does not exist when I do a clean build. InstallShield barfs when trying to create the _isconfig.xml in the directory (I do not know which path variable is the culprit, since they both happen to point to the same directory). As soon as I create this directory, the file is able to be created, and my build succeeds.

Either IS needs to create this file somewhere else (temporary location or release location) or IS needs to create the non-existent directory if it does not exist. I would personally prefer one of the options of the first solution, since I don't like programs creating directories willy-nilly.

-D