PDA

View Full Version : Sssssllllllooooowwwwww

mholland
06-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Does anyone else find Installshield X to be horrendously slow? Everything seems to take a long time to do... opening a file takes a good 30-60 seconds... clicking on a new dialog takes about 10 seconds. Clicking on an element in a dialog takes about 3 seconds. Totally unacceptable, in my opinion.

And to be sure, I'm not running on old hardware. I think my machine is a dual 3ghz with 2gb of ram.

any ideas on how to speed things up?

mike.

zengland
06-02-2004, 03:56 PM
I haven't seen this problem on my Windows machine which is considerably less impressive than yours.
In fact, the performance on my old ULTRA1 Sun box even seems a little better than what you are seeing.

mholland
06-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Are you using IS X Multiplatform Universal?

Did you configure it in any special way to make this run faster?

mike.

mholland
06-03-2004, 10:58 AM
I filed this problem with support and they told me how ot bump up my min and max heap settings (allowing Installshield to use more memory on my computer, and thus run faster):

-----------------------------------------
You can increase the heap size by creating a .ja file with the same name as the exe with which you launch the IDE. So if you go to the directory where InstallShield X is installed you will see a Universal Installer directory. In this directory you will see a InstallShieldUniversal.exe. Here create a InstallShieldUniversal.ja file and in this .ja file enter -Xms32m and -Xmx128m on two separate lines. You can change the numbers 32 and 128 for minimum and maximum sizes.
-----------------------------------------------

mike.