PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ODBC

HuongLe
06-02-2004, 11:53 AM
I originally posted this in the Windows Installer Forum, but I think it belongs here.

I'm new to installation development, and I'm trying to upgrade a setup script someone wrote for IS Professional 5.5. I need to compile the setup.rul script through command line.

From looking through the script, it looks like they used the DAO/ODBC setup.rul template and made modifications for our specific project. This template includes the odbc.rul script.

InstallShield's help instructs me to "Remove Professional 5.x’s ODBC Template code." Does this mean to not use the DAO/ODBC setup.rul template at all, or does it just mean to not use odbc.rul? If it's the latter, there are calls to functions defined in odbc.rul that won't work anymore, so what could I do to fix that? If it's the former, then is there any easy way for me to convert the existing script to one that works, or do I have to go through and find project-specific changes and apply those to a new template?

I apologize if I missed anything obvious. I am really new to this. Thanks in advance.

Mark at IS
06-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by HuongLe
Does this mean to not use the DAO/ODBC setup.rul template at allYes (unless you can think of a way to re-engineer the template to get around the fact that there is no longer any way to get files' destinations from the script).
is there any easy way for me to convert the existing script to one that works, or do I have to go through and find project-specific changes and apply those to a new template?In InstallScript projects, the recommended way of installing ODBC is by including the MDAC object in your installation.

HuongLe
06-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for the help!

HuongLe
06-03-2004, 05:51 PM
There is an ODBC Resources view in Windows Installer, but I don't see one for InstallScript. Any idea how I would add an ODBC resource?