PDA

View Full Version : Multiple install locations in a suite project

zengland
06-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Is it possible to have multiple install locations for different products in a Universal Static Suite Project?

I have a few existing installers which I want to make part of a suite. However, the two products cannot be installed to the same location. Adding the projects to a new static suite project only provides the option to install to one place.

Can I specify a seperate target for each product reference?

Mike_W
06-02-2004, 01:52 PM
You can do this, but it would require creating custom Destination Panels along with some Java coding.

You can see the code the Destination Panel executes on exit in the dialog editor under Swing Events and Console Events. It sets the installLocation for the entire suite. You can modify that code to set the install location for a product reference instead. Create two panels, one for each product or create a panel that specifies two directories. Place the panel(s) in your pre-install sequence and you are ready to go.

There are some issues you may run into when using a Static Suite with multiple install locations. The uninstaller will be created in the Static Suites install location. However, a Dynamic Suite Project will create the uninstaller in each products install location.

Hope this helps,

Mike

zengland
06-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Does a Dynamic Suite also require custom Destination Panels?
I think a Dynamic Suite better fits my needs anyway.

Mike_W
06-04-2004, 02:25 PM
By default, a dynamic suite will install all your applications into a single destination directory specified by Destination dialog. If you want to override that functionality you will need to use a custom dialog to set each application's destination path.

Mike

dale.jar
04-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Mike stated "You can modify that code to set the install location for a product reference instead."

Can you provide any clues on this?

This is a big deal to our customers, and I have all of the panels created and the variables set, but I don't know how to pass these variables to the install function.

This is a legacy issue and I'd hate to ask all of our customers to change just because IS can't do this...

The IS_LOCATION is where the main application will be installed and I created a FORMS_LOCATION variable where the forms will be installed. As soon as I figure this out, I'll create new variables for the report, scripts, documentation, etc...