PDA

View Full Version : setting file owner/group

shadowdancer
06-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Where do you change the owner & group of the project files to be installed? This is for an install on a unix system.

In the old multiplatform, it was simple matter of setting the values in the owner/group fields in the advanced properties, but I can't find the corresponding fields anywhere in InstallShield X.

Anyone know where to do this?

Thanks!

Richard

Mike_W
06-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi Richard,

You can specify file permissions in Installshield X Universal as well.

Select the file or directory you would like to modify in the Files view. Click the Edit button above the list of files. A window will pop up with two tabs, General and Attributes. Under the Attributes tab you can modify file permissions for Unix and Windows file systems.

Mike

shadowdancer
06-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi MIke,

Yes, I had already found where you can change the permissions of the files, but what I need to do is change the owner & group of the file.

For example, if one of my developers creates a new file, it will have his own userid & the group he belongs to associated with the file, but this is not how we want the file ownership to be when it is installed on the target machine.

i.e, if the file looks like this on the dev's machine:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 vb_dev1 devgrp 87 Jun 01 2004 newfile.vbs

where vb_dev1 is the owner and devgrp is the group he belongs to.

but when we install it, we want it to look like:

-rwx------ 1 admins rungrp 87 Jun 01 2002 newfile.vbs

Changing the owner & group was easy under the old multiplatform. I'm having trouble finding the corresponding settings in InstallShield X.

Mike_W
06-02-2004, 10:26 AM
The owner and group can be set in the Advanced Properties box (right below Standard Properties). It also contains the Bean ID property and a few others including Owner and Group.

Is that what you are looking for?

Mike

shadowdancer
06-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi Mike,

It probably is, but you're going to have to bear with me here, I'm still trying to figure out the layout of InstallShield X. Where is the advanced & standard options in InstallShield X? I know where they are in the old multiplatform, but so far no luck in InstallShield X.

Attached is a screenshot of what I see.

Mike_W
06-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Hi Richard,

My mistake for not being more specific. In the leftmost View List column there is an "Organization" section. Under that select "Installation Design". The Explorer column will have your Product tree. Browse down to the Files group you would like to modify. There you will see the property boxes I described earlier.

Mike

shadowdancer
06-02-2004, 11:18 AM
AHA!

That is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

Thank You Very Much Mike!

Gagh, InstallShield X is driving me crazy! But, it has given me some nifty new features to use.

Thx again,

Richard