PDA

View Full Version : downloading .net from setup.exe

johnludlow
06-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Hi,

I have been battling with a one-click web install for most of the day. My problems stemmed from the fact that the install could not download and install the .NET 1.1 framework. I've fix this by returning it to the default value. (www.installengine.com/...)

What would I need to do in order to have this come from within our own domain? Would it be possible for Installshield to create a folder with my build output with the required files in?

Thanks

David Thornley
06-02-2004, 09:23 AM
You can't really redirect the web location for the .NET framework. This is the reason we removed the option to customize the URL from the Release Wizard in 10.

The reason is that the file at that installengine.com is bootstrap that then knows how to download the appropriate .NET engines from microsoft.com. When you change the URL to the .NET framework what you need to publish at that location is the InstallShield bootstrap, not the MSFT .NET framework.

If you want full control over this I would recommend creating your own setup prerequisite for the .NET framework.

johnludlow
06-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Ah, I see. I'm still working on 9 until 10 arrives. It's in the pipeline, just a very long pipeline.

Thanks

johnludlow
06-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Ok, the CD arrived this afternoon. I just thought I'd check - the option to override the download URL for the .NET framework is still on the Release property page, but it's gone from the release wizard, as far as I can see.

It would be nice if the file that is on installengine.com could be packaged with the setup in the way that I mentioned, so that the URL was customisable, but it's not a massive issue.