PDA

View Full Version : Server Configuration - IIS

zeplynne
06-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Under Server Configuration Node:

1) Create a new web site under IIS
2) "Site Number" is defaulted to 0
3) Create a new property, say "[NewSiteNumber]" and set that as the default for Site Number.

I do this as I am creating new web sites per user Q & A, I then take the # of the new site that was created and set it to [NewSiteNumber] property. During install though, I receive the error 'Error: AddVChildRoot Open Key'
No problems when I fill in a site # before build, or leave the default of 0, only when done dynamically.

Does InstallShield allow entering a property for Site Number, as it does for Port Number ( [ISVROOT_PORT_NO] )? If so, it does not seem to work.

Anybody out there have any ideas? Has anyone had this problem or one similar?

Thanks for your time!

zeplynne
06-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Let me elaborate. I believe the AddVRootChild error is being caused by the fact that I already have virtual directories with the same name I am trying to create on site #1. This makes me believe that the property I set for the site number is disregarded and it installs using the default web site, hence the error.

The original problem still remains, can you specify a property for the site number and actually set it at run time.

RichAquino
06-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi,

Yes, you can use a property for the site number. I believe the problem is that you are not using a "public" property. To make a property public, make sure it's all caps.

We have found the other problem you've mentioned (with the vroot already existing), and are working on resolving it.

Rich

zeplynne
06-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Is there a default property named ISVROOT_SITE_NUM? Or does it not matter what it is called?

Thanks.
SMW

Another Note:
Unfortunately, these issues caused an inability to remove the install. I tried windows cleaner, but it doesn't find it. I tried command line of msiexec, but it didn't totally remove it. I did however tell it to log uninstall data and this is what I saw at the end of the log ---
Action start 17:10:10: InstallFinalize.
1: Error with IISRT: -1202
Action ended 17:11:30: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action start 17:13:36: ISCleanUpFatalExit.

Any ideas how to clean this up?

michaelk
04-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Hi,

The Site Number and TCP Port fields only accept numbers so how do you set a Property? I was presuming it should work like the registry values where you enter [MySiteNumberProperty] or similar.

I've also tried entering it into the base yables instead, but that doesn't work and means I trip over the problem (mentioned above) where you then can't uninstall.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Mike.

jeffprince777
04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Right,

This one has been bugging me too michaelk, I think it is a bug in Installshield 11.5 GUI but NOT in InstallshieldX, which is why you are confused since you have replied to an InstallshieldX posting.

However, I've found an easy way round it.

1) In Internet Information Services, create your website
2) In Property Manager, create a property called, say IISSITEID.
3) In Direct Editor, find the ISWebSite table.
4) Change the value of the SiteNumber column to [IISSITEID].
5) Go back to Internet Information Services and you will see [IISSITEID] in the Site Number box.
6) Set the [IISSITEID] property from wherever you want, and it will be resolved corretly at runtime.

I'll put a fresh posting on the Installshield 11.5 Forum

michaelk
04-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Yes, sorry this should really be under 11.5.

1) In Internet Information Services, create your website
2) In Property Manager, create a property called, say IISSITEID.
3) In Direct Editor, find the ISWebSite table.
4) Change the value of the SiteNumber column to [IISSITEID].
5) Go back to Internet Information Services and you will see [IISSITEID] in the Site Number box.
6) Set the [IISSITEID] property from wherever you want, and it will be resolved corretly at runtime.

Thanks jeffprince777, but I had already tried this. Apart from not working, it caused the more serious problem described by zeplynne.

Another Note:
Unfortunately, these issues caused an inability to remove the install. I tried windows cleaner, but it doesn't find it. I tried command line of msiexec, but it didn't totally remove it. I did however tell it to log uninstall data and this is what I saw at the end of the log ---
Action start 17:10:10: InstallFinalize.
1: Error with IISRT: -1202
Action ended 17:11:30: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action start 17:13:36: ISCleanUpFatalExit.

I've given up now and only provide the ability to install to the default web site!

jeffprince777
04-21-2006, 04:23 AM
When you say not working, what do you mean? Fails to install? Installs ok but app doesn't work?

I have successfully created an Installshield 11.5 installer that uses this method. On Windows Server 2003 (IIS 6.0) it installs ok and uninstalls ok. I've checked c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\MetaBase.xml, and all traces of the installed website have been removed.

:confused: