PDA

View Full Version : Gathering user input

paulrs
05-31-2004, 11:22 AM
RE: InstallShield X, Windows 2000 Professional, Basic MSI Project

All,

I spent most of Friday playing with the various project types in an attempt to learn more about Install Shield. I have succesfully built 2 installers using Basic MSI project types and one of them has some interesting complexity in that it installs & uninstalls two NT services. I need to add a feature to both installers that will gather user input and write the information out to a config file to the [INSTALLDIR]. I've found that I can build a custom dialog, using the GUI builder in the Dialogs section of the Installation designer. However, I'm not sure as to what exactly to do next. I get the impression that I need a custom action of some sort and possibly an additional sequence, but I can't seem to find any examples, and I'm not even sure if I've gone beyond what a Basic MSI project is capable of doing. If anyone can give me a strong shove in the right direction, I would be much obliged. Also, given my experiences on Friday with the universal installer with the time it took to build the installer and the resultant file size and not withstanding the fact that I am a java developer, I would prefer to stick with an MSI project or an Install Script project.

Paul

RobertDickau
06-04-2004, 08:36 AM
For information about working with the MSI user interface, perhaps see the sample training-manual chapter download for the InstallShield X MSI course, at www.installshield.com/ispress/#tm.