PDA

View Full Version : How to Install a NT Service?

ottoyu
05-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I have used the Component Wizard to create a Install NT Service component. But after I entered the info on all the panels and clicked Finished. It created the component but there is red ! in the icon. Does anyone what is that meant? And how to fix that?

I rebuilded the project with no error. But didn't install the NT service during installation and no error during installation. Is there anything else I need to config. in order to install a NT service?

Regards,
Otto

RobertDickau
05-28-2004, 01:46 PM
The red exclamation point in a component icon means that the component is not yet associated with a feature, and therefore won't be installed. To add the component to a feature, right-click a feature in the Setup Design view and select Associate Components...

ottoyu
05-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Got it. Thanks for the help.

paulrs
06-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Ottoyu,

I recently had to build an installer that installed windows services, and I discovered that the services were no automatically removed during the uninstallation process. I found that I needed to go into the Advanced Settings>Control NT Services section for my service component and add a new service control event that would both stop the service and uninstall it. It seems inconsistent to me that the uninstaller automatically removes the files associated with components (and the exe's on which the service depends), but it does not automatically remove the service itself.

Paul

ottoyu
06-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Paul:

Thanks for the tips. I went to the Advanced Settng>Control NT Services and put the Yes for "Uninstall Stop" and "Uninstall Delete". When I ran the setup.exe again to Remove the installation. It didn't stop the Windows service and delete it.
Any idea why it is not doing that?

Regards,
Otto