PDA

View Full Version : How to determine why a reboot is necessary?

arthg9
05-28-2004, 09:34 AM
The operating system is Windows 2000.

I'm testing a Repair operation.

To avoid reboots, I've taking pains to stop pertinent processes before (OnMoving) and after (OnMoved) features are installed. For the most part, this is working as desired. I have found a Repair scenario that requires a reboot after installation, and I can't figure out why.

The "HKLM\..\Session Manager\FileRenameOperations" key does not have an entry. The "HKLM\..\RunOnce" key does not have an entry.

Is there an InstallShield log file that I can inspect to determine what about the specific installation scenario is making the reboot necessary? I may be able to mitigate the reboot if I know which file or files are busy.

Thanks in advance,

Art

soorajganga
04-13-2005, 03:36 AM
Hi,
I have the same problem…?
Were you able to get any solution for this…?
Pls post it on the community if u have any workaround

Thanks

BernardC
04-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi,

You can check under %Drive%:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{YourProductGUID} folder. If a reboot is required you will find a reboot.ini file where you could find a list of tasks to be run after reboot (copy, registration....). This will give you information about files involved in those "reboot operations" but nothing about why they were locked during installation.

Hope this will help.

Bernard.

soorajganga
04-14-2005, 05:45 AM
Hello,
Thanks for the reply...

But I couldn't find the folder "InstallShield Installation Information" as you susggested any where on my system.

FYI : I am using InstallShield X version.

Thanks

dbriggs
04-14-2005, 08:12 AM
This is a Hidden folder. Open My Computer at the Program Files folder on your Windows drive. Select Tools, Folder Options, and switch to the View tab. You should see "Hidden files and folders". Enable it and you should see the InstallShield Installation Information folder. Your {GUID} folder should be inside.

Hope that helps,

David

P.S. Check also for Registry String PendingFileRenameOperations in the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager Key. I have never seen anything in the FileRenameOperations Key.