PDA

View Full Version : Icons in Windows

chantc
05-27-2004, 02:21 PM
How do you get an icon to show up in windows?

I've included a shortcut action that points to an exe. Then under platform specific properties, I enabled the Windows properties.

I've tried both "bundled" and "installed" icon file types, but either way I do it, the actual icon image does not show up properly on the desktop. The shortcut is there and works fine, but the icon image is not there.

Any ideas?:confused:

RobertDickau
05-28-2004, 08:42 AM
What file format is your icon?

chantc
05-28-2004, 11:03 AM
It's a .ico file. I also tried a .gif file to no avail.

chantc
05-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Also, I don't know if this matters... but in an attempt to figure out what's going on...

I went to the shortcut and right clicked and selected properties. I then clicked on the "change icon" button. And I get an error message that says "%system drive%\product\ah.ico contains no icons."

ah.ico is my icon file. So, I'm wondering why it's pointing to system drive. I put the icon in one of my installed directories, so shouldn't it point there?

wohler
02-15-2005, 07:03 PM
At least you're getting a shortcut. On my Windows XP system, I'm not even getting the shortcut on the desktop. The Start menu item is created though, but doesn't have the chosen icon. Like chantc, I tried both GIF (preferred) and ICO formats and both bundled and installed (preferred, since the bundled method just sticks the icon in the installation directory).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why a) my desktop icon isn't getting created, and b) the icon in the menu item isn't getting set?

wohler
02-15-2005, 07:19 PM
By the way, this shortcut is bound to a Java launcher. The launcher works, as demonstrated by the menu item. I didn't configure the JVM Launcher > Advanced as this is already done in Additional Tools > JVM Resolution. Since the launcher works from the menu item, I assume this isn't the problem.

One other thing: I'd like to put the launcher in Start > My Company > My Program (which is working), but I'd like My Program to appear on the desktop. Possible?

Any other info that would help diagnose the problem?

wohler
02-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Embarrassingly, I note that I made a bonehead move and missed the Folder Context property. So I've answered my own question about using folders in the menu item but not on the desktop as I now see that you create two shortcuts--one for the desktop icon and one for the menu item.

But alas, I still don't have a desktop icon.

Still don't see my icon in the menu item though. While I RTFMed, I noticed that only .ico is supported on Windows. Wonder If that .ico image that the GIMP translated for me isn't recognized by Windows...

Also in the FM, I see that the icon has to be in a Files component that occurs before the shortcut action since I'm using the Installed Icon File Type property. This is indeed the case.

wohler
02-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Sorry I didn't give anyone a chance to jump in ;-).

I moved the icon from another component that occurred earlier on into a Files action in the component that contained the Desktop Icon action. With that change, I now have a desktop icon and an icon in the menu item.

Hope this helps others!

Ofer Rivlin
02-16-2005, 01:11 PM
This is for Chantc:
It might be that your icon file doesn’t have the right image-format for your platform. I would suggest including in your icon file at least 3 different formats of true-colors (or XP colors with alpha channel) and 3 different formats of 256 indexed colors.