PDA

View Full Version : prerequisite reboot

fzgny5
05-27-2004, 01:01 PM
I am trying to understand what I can do when a prerequisite requires a reboot. I have the JRE 1.4.2_03 as a prerequisite and it requires a reboot. Should I just let it reboot or can I somehow capture the reboot and have my installation require a reboot at the end of the install (it currently does not require a reboot)?

Thanks.

David Thornley
05-28-2004, 09:02 AM
The runtime will be able to reboot after your prerequisite finishes installing and then start your installation...or the next prerequisite.

fzgny5
06-01-2004, 06:29 AM
I did try to let it reboot and it did not launch my second prerequisite (it went into the installation of the main application). As a matter of fact, it looked like it tried to launch my second prerequisite just prior to the reboot occurring. I was able to get around this by changing the order of the prerequisites (my second prerequisite never requires a reboot).

David Thornley
06-01-2004, 01:52 PM
It is possible that the condition for your second prerequisite is being met by the installation of the first prerequisite.

We have a suite of reboot test cases that exercise this with single reboots and multiple reboots and those are all running successfully.

fzgny5
06-01-2004, 02:19 PM
No, it's not possible that the JRE install satisfies the requirement but I think I have it figured out. I did not have anything specified for a reboot return code and it appears that the second installation was started before the reboot command was sent to the OS, thereby creating the problem. The documentation is unclear here. What exactly is done when you put a reboot return code for your prerequisite and the prerequisite returns ends with that code? Does the installation stall until you answer the reboot question?

fzgny5
06-01-2004, 02:24 PM
One other question. If your installation is restricted to a NT-based OS only do you have to author a similar condition for the prerequisite? Or does it inherit the installation conditions?

David Thornley
06-01-2004, 04:49 PM
The prerequisites run before your setup even starts, so your install conditions would not have run.