PDA

View Full Version : debug an InstallScript project

WilmarG
05-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Hi there!

I'm new to InstallShield X (and actually to any IS product) and I've been looking around trying to debug an example code. The script compiles and builds with no errors or warnings, but when I click on debug button the Visual Debugger never shows up. Instead, my app runs normally.

I've tried with some other projects but with same results. Please any help. Thanks a lot.

Brandon Lowe
06-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Did you ever get this too work?

Brandon

dbriggs
06-11-2004, 12:45 PM
I am using the ISX Script debugger right now, but not on my development machine. It's running in a VMware VM.

You may have to follow the general instructions for setting up the debugger on any system:-

Look in your <ISX-install>\System directory for a file called ISDbg.EXE. Copy it into Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Script (on your target system) and then run it /regserver to plug it in.

Run your Setup.exe /d after compiling with inline debugging information (not compressed) and the debugger should open up. It will look for the source (e.g. Setup.rul) and will ask where it is if it can't be found. I normally make permanent Uses with matching drive letters back from my virtual machines to the development system so this is automatic.

That's what I did earlier today, anyway.

Hope that helps,

David

P.S. I never can find the instructions in the online documentation!

Brandon Lowe
06-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Mine has been working since day one. I was just wondering if you still had problems because nobody had responded to you at all. I know how frustrating it can be when no one answers or offers any idea.

Brandon

WilmarG
06-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanx a lot, guys.

After walking around and around my project for several hours, I found out that I could debug it if I turned off options in Installation Interview page. I don't know why but that's what I did.

After that, in order to validate MDAC version, I wrote some code into Move data > MyFeature > New MDAC 2.7 1 > Installing event. But I found out that you can't debug code written into that section since: "Windows Installer controls the installation of features, the order in which feature event-handler functions are called cannot be specified. In addition, feature events are not launched until all features are copied to the target system."

I'll try to debug it the way you tell me.

And what you say is true, David: it is sometimes hard to find answers in the online documentation, and I must say I'm a little bit dissapointed with the training course I bought: "Learning InstallScript Projects using InstallShield DevStudio 9", for It teaches basic things only.