PDA

View Full Version : Best practices?

dpando
05-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Hi Gurus !

I´d like to make you some questions about best practices for using InstallShield X Premier.

We provide software for one of the most important banks in South America. We use several programming languages (Java, C,
C++,Cobol,...) for every operating system our customers may own (win32, all Unix flavours). Our organization is in the process of deploying a SCM for managing the development of all these languages and platforms.

We need some recommendations for using InstallShield in our processes :

Is there any recommended architecture for packaging software elements for different environments? Is it possible to author installations from a single workstation (i.e. accessing all other development platforms using shared folders) , or should we install InstallShield for every different development platform and author the installation there?
We'd like to keep the history of the authored installations in a central repository. Is this possible? Is there a recommended way?
We'd like to distribute software elements for platforms where we can't build, i.e. we develop applications written in C/C++ in Linux, but our customers may want to run it in AIX or Solaris servers; same thing for different win32 flavours. Is there a way or solution for us to deliver executable software to our customers, keeping the compatibility for all possible targets?

Any info about the upper points will be appreciated

Sorry the long post :o

sithlord
05-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi,

I think your question is really about Configuration Management. You can develop InstallShield X UIP in any platform you desire while keeping the single code base paradigm in place. All you need is a good Configuration Management (CM) tool such as ClearCase (http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/clearcase/) , Perforce (http://www.perforce.com/) , etc (DO NOT USE SourceSafe). I personally prefer Perforce because of price and ease of use. ClearCase is more robust but you pay the Rational/IBM price.

As for distributing “executables” for all your supported platforms, you can use the InstallShield X Distribution paradigm to target each supported platform. When you wish to target a given platform, you just configure the desired 'distribution' properties.

You’ve definitely chosen the right product for targeting multi-platform installations. You just need to get your development process in order using Source Control Management tools.

Let me know if there’s more you need to know. Your questions were too generic for me to delve into the semantics of developing Multi-Platform installers.

Cheers,
--Will