PDA

View Full Version : Custom Actions not working?

Gilesey
05-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Note: I'm sure I created this topic in Basic MSI thread. Sorry. Please move!

I am semi-seasoned at IS6.2, but this new one is just frustrating me! Can someone help..

I have a basic MSI project, I create a new installscript file, and in MyFunction put MessageBox("HelloWorld",INFORMATION);

Now I create a custom action called HelloWorld, which executes MyFunction

The properties of the CA are:
Return processing: synchronous (ignore)
In script execution: Immediate
Execution scheduling: Always

the rest are blank.

Then, in UI->Dialogs->SetupCompleteSuccess
I place a push button on the window, then in the events list for pushbutton1, have

column1 :DoAction
column2:HelloWorld
column3:1

I run the project (having given a dummy file for it to think the installation has content), I see the final page, and the button is there, I press it but nothing happens! (yes it is enabled)

I have got to this position after 8 hours of trying different things. As I originally had a checkbox for displaying release notes, and wanted the OK button (Finish) to execute DoAction ShowReleaseNotes (my own function). But it never got called, so I decided to try a pushbutton on the dialog as a matter of eliminating possibilities for errors.

If i give my action a sequence it does get called, so it's not a code problem. however, there is no sequence appropriate for this code.

I have a different problem when setting sequence 'After setupcompletesuccess', my code gets executed before the dialog is shown! Which is mad, I said 'After' not before!

Anyway, what am I doing wrong, why isn't my install script getting called on the DoAction event of a pushbutton?

Yours desperately

Giles Middleton

Gilesey
05-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Ok, simple answer seems to be (after finally finding a similar thread), that you can't invoke Installscript CA's on the Success Dialog!

That's ridiculous! How many people want to perform some kind of post operation depending on tick boxes on the final page?

I think you'll find that's 99% of the installs ever made.

Is my alternative to put an intermediate dialog between SetupProgress and SetupCompleteSuccess that asks me the options first?

_doog_
05-24-2004, 11:27 AM
i can not verify that installscript does not work in the SetupCompleteDialog, seems strange to me

but it is definitely possible to call builtin-ca's like exe, std-dll, vb-script or javascript

Gilesey
05-25-2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by _doog_
i can not verify that installscript does not work in the SetupCompleteDialog, seems strange to me

but it is definitely possible to call builtin-ca's like exe, std-dll, vb-script or javascript

Yes, I can get VBScript events working when pressing the Finish Button on the SetupCompleteSuccess page, but definatley no Installscript functions can be called from events on any control on the final page.

Is the solution then in general not to use all the nice functions of installscript on the final page and use vb/c++/javascript? sorry, seems a bit silly. And I don't think this was documented anywhere?