PDA

View Full Version : Need a kick-start

Startup
05-21-2004, 12:05 AM
I am new to the InstallShield family, so please be kind.

I am evaluating IS X for the purpose of creating an automated installation for a datamart system based on MS SQL Server and Analysis Services.

The system, when installed, consists of: SQL databases, Analysis Services database (with OLAP cubes), datasource files in application folder (.udl files), DTS packages, SQL Agent jobs. All on one Windows 2000 / SQL Server 2000 server.

What type of IS project is better to use for this? How much scripting would be required?

Kind regards,
Startup

johnludlow
05-21-2004, 03:53 AM
You'll want either Basic MSI or Installscript. Both can execute SQL scripts (and, in theory, DTS packages - I have yet to try this but will as soon as we have a DTS package).

You may want to go with a Basic MSI. I believe that Installscript projects have an issue with script ordering - in a Basic MSI project it is possible to set the order that scripts are processed. In an Installscript project, I don't think it is.

The problem with Basic MSI is that it's quite complicated. However, if you're not sure how to do something just ask.

David Thornley
05-21-2004, 10:49 AM
In the beta scripts where not ordered in InstallScript projects. Based on customer feedback we added a "batch mode" option for SQL Scripts in InstallScript projects that installs all of the SQL Scripts at the same time in the order specified in the IDE...just like the MSI porjects.

The reason for the difference in the default si that InstallScript projects have always installed resources feature by feature and component by component whereas MSI does everything as one big batch.