PDA

View Full Version : how to fix moving DLLWrapCleanup

bignikku
05-19-2004, 04:40 PM
The InstallShield custom action DLLWrapCleanup keeps moving around when I modify the project.

This stupid bug still exists in this new verison 10. It's been 3 releases! What is going on in InstallShield QA?

Is there anyway to fix it other than changing all of my custom actions to not use the standard dll type?

Thanks,
Frustrated User

David Thornley
05-20-2004, 08:38 AM
I'm not aware of issues with the standard DLL wrapper custom actions moving, can you describe the behavior you are experiencing.

bignikku
05-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Sorry for being harsh but it is the only way things get done these days.

I've been using InstalShield products since the first release of IS3 and I have to say that the quality has been decreasing with every version rather than vice versa esp with these new all in one IDEs.

The issue I mentioned has been seen by other developers in the previous version just like me. They opted to go the route of "working around the bug" but I'd rather get it fixed. Frankly, I've worked around enuff bugs to continue.

After a number of standard dll CA's are added to a project, if the user makes a changes such as adding a new custom action, modifying an existing custom action, etc etc, the DLLWrapCleanup moves from the last custom action to somewhere in the middle of the sequences. This affects both the UI and Execute sequences. When this happens, at run time, the cleanup routine executes before your remaining CA's causing errors such "Unknown source ."

Hope this explains it clearly.

David Thornley
05-20-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm having some trouble reproducing this.

I created a standard DLL Custom action and sequenced it in the execute sequence after InstallFinalize but before DLLWrapperCleanup. I then created another and sequenced it after the previous one. I created a couple more and sequenced them at random but DLLWrapperCleanup was always the last action in the sequence.

When you see the action move does it always move to the same place? Is this place directly after InstallFinalize? Do you have any other actions after InstallFinalize besides the DLLWrapperCleanup action?

If there are some steps that you can put thgether that always lead to reproduction I will promise you that we will fix this.

Regards
David

bignikku
05-20-2004, 01:33 PM
David,

This issue wil start happening after dozens of CAs are added not just a few. In our case, we have about 50. We have several actions after InstallFinalize. I can readily reproduce this issue every time I modify the project. I've tried Dev 8, Dev 9, and now IS X and all of them have the same issue.

The position of DLLWrapCleanup moves to after InstallFinalize in the Execute seq and after ExecuteAction in the UI sequence. These are the default locations when the first std dll CA is added to a project. Ideally, DLLWrapcleanup should be the last CA, however, this is not a fool proof method also but will work most of the time. The best solution is probabaly not to move it around and leave it in the sequence where it was found.

David Thornley
05-20-2004, 01:49 PM
That action keys off of InstallFinalize, but should not move once it exists. Would it be possible to get a project file from you that I could work with. Having reproduction makes it easier to guarantee that a problem is fixed. You can e-mail the ism file to davidt@installshield.com that may help quite a bit.

Thanks!