PDA

View Full Version : MDAC 2.8 Corruption

Alan Wlasuk
05-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Per a previous post - I have had problems when installing the MDAC 2.8 object.

I have written a small Windows Install that only does the installation of the MDAC 2.8 Object.
The result is serious font corruption on the ODBC Data Sources dialog (and some of the supporting dialogs).
The font corruption is seem as large, bold letters with many letters ommitted and many thick vertical bar symbols.

This has happened under Win 98 and XP.

Does the MDAC 2.8 need to be installed with other objects?

Chandima
05-19-2004, 01:51 PM
That is very strange. All the MDAC 2.8 merge module does is, check for the minimum requirements and then launches the MDAC redistributable (mdac_typ.exe). What happens if you download the MDAC 2.8 redist from the microsoft website and run it? Does it cause the same problem on similar machines?

Alan Wlasuk
05-19-2004, 04:29 PM
I did download MDAC_TYP.exe from Microsoft.

Some intertesting facts:

- When I run IS MDAC_TYPE with the /? param I get the help dialog but in a format that is just as font corrupted as seen on the ODBC dialog

- When I run the Microsoft version the help dialog is fine. When I install the Microsoft version of MDAC there is no corruption.

Chandima
05-19-2004, 04:42 PM
You are using a Basic Msi project right? I just want to make sure that we are talking about the Windows Installer merge module for MDAC 2.8 and not the InstallScript Object for 2.8. Could you paste a screenshot of the help page with the corrupted characters? I'm wondering if we are somehow getting an MDAC redist for another language? Thanks!

Alan Wlasuk
05-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Here is the dialog I am seeing

Chandima
05-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Looking at the bitmap I would guess that its trying to run a japanese redist instead of the english.

Just to clarify, is this the Windows Installer merge module or the InstallScript Object?

Also, how did you get this module? Did you get InstallShield X on a CD so the module was installed by our setup? Or did you download the setup from the web and then download the merge module through the Redistributables View?

Alan Wlasuk
05-20-2004, 08:31 AM
This is the MDAC 2.8 MM

I downloaded IS X from IS - purchased from IS

Can I just replace the MDAC_TYPE.exe file that comes from IS with the the one that I downloaded from MS?

AW

Alan Wlasuk
05-20-2004, 08:37 AM
I did see where the module was in the Japanese language

Chandima
05-20-2004, 09:00 AM
I did see where the module was in the Japanese language
Are you saying that it downloaded the Japanese version of MDAC 2.8? Did you remember going to the Redistributables View and selecting downloading the MDAC module at any point?

Can I just replace the MDAC_TYPE.exe file that comes from IS with the the one that I downloaded from MS?
Yes you can (good idea!).
1. Open the MDAC 2.8 msm in ORCA.
2. Go to the Binary table.
3. Double click in the "Data" column of the row for "NewBinary1.E7D6BCFA_9BFA_49D4_A1EE_767B7FD61E38". This will launch a browse dialog.
4. Browse to and select the exe you downloaded from microsoft and press OK.
5. Save and close the msm.

Thanks!!

Alan Wlasuk
05-20-2004, 09:06 AM
I don't remember downloading any modules

I ended up just manually downlaoding the MDAC_TYP.exe from MS and replacing the IS offening version - Is this good enough?

The harder part - how do I repair the three PC's where the Japenese version of MDAC was run?
Any ideas?

Chandima
05-20-2004, 09:20 AM
I ended up just manually downlaoding the MDAC_TYP.exe from MS and replacing the IS offening version - Is this good enough?
It should be. Better yet, just download the original merge module form this KB. This problem seems to be the setup installing the wrong MDAC rather than an actual bug in the MDAC module.

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q109806

The harder part - how do I repair the three PC's where the Japenese version of MDAC was run?
I'm not too sure about that. The only thing I can think of is to run the mdac_typ.exe you downloaded from microsoft on these machines.

Alan Wlasuk
05-27-2004, 09:04 AM
I just reinstalled IS X on another machine.
I did nothing but do a build on a project containing MDAC
There were no downloads or updates
When I ran the Install resulting from this project I saw that I had run a Japanese version of MDAC

So ... you folks have a problem

This was a version of IS X that I purchased and downloaded from IS