PDA

View Full Version : COM Extract at Build does not add "HKCR\Interface" section

Riko Eksteen
05-19-2004, 10:08 AM
I am working on my own tool to extract COM information from self-registering ActiveX files, and have just discovered that InstallShield's COM extract at build does not add the "Interface" sections in my DLLs to the Registry table!

It extracts all the information fine (e.g. looking at RegSpyUI.exe) including the Interface entries, but they are not added to the registry table like the threading model and other CLSID entries when the MSI is built.

Is this a bug from InstallShield, do they know about it, and how can I resolve it?

huntant
05-19-2004, 10:24 AM
I've been finding that the Extract at Build option does not always extract all of the registry keys. RegSpyUI.exe seems to work fine, but not the IDE. I've also started to see problems with com extraction when adding components. I have reported this to InstallShield Support, but never got a fix other then to manually add the missing keys myself.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion to not rely on InstallShield to do the extract, but to use a tool like RegSpy (http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/tips.htm).

Anthony