PDA

View Full Version : ODBC Data Source font corruption

Alan Wlasuk
05-19-2004, 06:16 AM
I am writing a simple Windows VB install.
This VB app uses Crystal Reports and an ODBC Access interface.
I have included what I beleive are the correct objects to make this work.
The installation causes font corruption on the ODBC Data Source dialog.
The fonts go Bold and contain unreadable characters.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
AW

David Thornley
05-19-2004, 09:10 AM
I've never heard of an issue like this before.

I've seen similar issues where system components like Add Remove Programs have problems. All of those issues are usualy caused by the setup installing files that are not compatible with the OS. I would look at specifically what system files your setup is installing.

jefftanner
06-02-2004, 02:05 PM
I got exactly the same problem: within ODBC tool, the fonts go Bold and contain unreadable characters.

I have been doing lots of ODBC development work and not until I downloaded the InstallShield X evalution version that I had this problem with a font corrupted ODBC Data Source admin tool.

At 9:00 am 1 June, I saw that the ODBC was not currupted.

At 10:00 am 1 June, I downloaded InstallShield X

At 11:00 am 1 June, I created a InstallScript project with MDAC 2.8 English + MSDE 2000 Setup. Compiled and ran the project, then immedately saw that the ODBC got corrupted.

Alan Wlasuk
06-02-2004, 02:11 PM
The problem I found was the fact that the downloaded version of IS X has a Japanese version of MDAC. This causes the problems you are seeing. It is not really corrution - just Japanese characters beig displayed in an English world.

There is no easy way to correct for this since the English version of MDAC will not overlay the Japanese files because the files dates are the same.

I wrote a small app that checks the Language version in various DLLs, EXEs and such. This reports 10 - 20 files.
I was able to manually repair the damage.

I have told the IS folks about this problem - they have not provided any good answer.

David Thornley
06-02-2004, 03:34 PM
We have been able to reproduce this with the InstallScript Object. We are currrently working on this and there will probably be a hotfix to solve the problem.

Alan Wlasuk
06-02-2004, 03:39 PM
The obvious fix is to correct the IS X download
The harder part is to correct those machine sthat have been corrupted
I was able to manually repair my Win 98 PC
My XP pro machine still has one/two bad files