PDA

View Full Version : IIS install on XP

Randles
05-19-2004, 04:22 AM
Hi,

I am distributing a program that requires IIS;

The target operating system is XP Pro, which comes with IIS but not installed as standard.

I want to check for and install if necessary IIS.

Is this possible in installshield X??

My ideal solution would notify the user that IIS needed to be installed and they would be unable to continue without doing so.

---------------------------------------------------

I have read elsewhere that if IIS is a prerequisite then I should get an option to install it, but my install simply quits out saying IIS must be installed first.

---------------------------------------------------

I would be grateful of any assistance! Thanks!!

sogilvie
05-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi,

check the registry for the existence of IIS... if there go on... if not product warning and exit..

ie for IIS 4 the reg key is:
/* First look for Microsoft IIS 4.0 */
szWWWKey = "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\InetStp";

get the installpath from the registry and then check for the existence of a specific file in that dir... <just to double check>

XP does not come with IIS, since it is considered a "Pro" OS and not a Server OS...

Randles
05-20-2004, 05:21 AM
Thats the point, I dont want to have to exit.

Is there a way to install IIS from installshield x?

johnludlow
05-20-2004, 05:56 AM
IIS is available on the Windows CD as a "Windows Component" (you can install this from the Add-Remove Programs Control panel applet). In XP, it's a cut-down version that can only support one site at once, and has fewer options than the full version (at least that's what I've been told).

I don't know if you'd be able to use this setup or if it will only work when called by the Add-Remove Programs applet. I also don't know if you're allowed to do this (there may be licensing issues). Also bear in mind that it probably has low-level hooks into the OS, so there will be different versions depending on the OS. The 2k version might not work on XP, for example.

sogilvie
05-20-2004, 08:36 AM
well then I think you are stuck...

In my opinion.. what you should do in the OnBegin event, is to check for IIS, if IIS is not installed, bring up an ERROR dialog stating that your installation requires IIS to be installed...
State that they must install IIS and restart your install...

Why??

as per the last thread... there might be licenseing issues..
what version of IIS should you install? 5.0 on Win2K and 5.1 on XP?
Your install is going to be heavily bloated if you add one or both versions...

It should be a pre-requisite for your installation

johnludlow
05-20-2004, 08:50 AM
In my opinion.. what you should do in the OnBegin event, is to check for IIS, if IIS is not installed, bring up an ERROR dialog stating that your installation requires IIS to be installed...
Or use a combination of System Search and Launch Condition (if you are using a Basic MSI project).

I agree with sogilvie though - you should really just require IIS to be present rather than install it yourself - this is what we do with Windows Service packs

Randles
05-20-2004, 10:16 AM
thanks for the responces guys!

I'll take this advice. :)

burked
01-12-2005, 09:48 AM
can you tell me what to use as a condition to check for IIS?