PDA

View Full Version : Rookie question

laasunde
05-18-2004, 10:25 AM
I've just made a simple install program for a mfc program i've developed in visual studio dotnet. Can someone please explain to me how can I can also install the driver to my web-camera in the same installation as my program. My program needs the camera to be able to work so I might aswell install them together.... I cant for the life of me figur out where to add a referanse to the camera driver setup file.

Thanks for any help.

johnludlow
05-18-2004, 10:34 AM
When you say "driver setup file". do you mean the .inf file that comes with the drivers for the camera?

If so, you can go to the Setup Design view, right click a feature and choose Device Driver Wizard.

laasunde
05-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Sorry for beeing unclear in my original post.

I have a install file for my web camera called Fire_i.exe (about 15MB) that I want to run in the install setup.

David Thornley
05-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Take a look at the Custom Actions view as well as the related help on creating custom actions.

Custom Actions will allow you to launch an external EXE file as a part of your setup. You also have to sequence that action within the overall flow of your installation. The custom action wizard int he Custom Actions view will help you make these settings.

johnludlow
05-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Beware of issues involved with this - especially if the driver installation is MSI-based (windows installer is a bit fussy about two setups running simultaneously).

Personally, I would prefer to run this as a Setup Prerequisite. But that's just me.

laasunde
05-19-2004, 02:51 AM
This is what I've done so far:
- Started visual studio .net (2003)
- goto new project, select installscript project
- fill out application information, installation archietectur, application files(add folders and files needed), application redistribution (my app uses directX), application shortcuts etc

But where is 'Custom Actions view' located ?

johnludlow
05-19-2004, 04:19 AM
This forum deals specifically with MSI-based projects, so we might not be able to help with Installscript much. There is a seperate forum for Installscript projects.

Custom Actions are a method of running paticular actions during an MSI setup (as opposed to an InstallScript setup). This could be running an exe or a script, setting a property (a kind of variable), setting a directory path, and so on.

In Installscript, you would want to go to the Installation Designer and go to the InstallScript view. This will let you write custom code to run the exe (LaunchAppAndWait is the function you would use).