PDA

View Full Version : Setup Prerequisites

interprojects
05-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Hello,

I am currently evaluating the “Setup Prerequisites” component of the “InstallShield X” product.

I appreciate any help I can get on the questions below.

1) At the link below, there is a predefined list of conditions that may be used to determine if a setup prerequisite is already installed:
http://helpnet.installshield.com/robo/projects/installshieldxhelplib/SetupPrereqEditorCond.htm
Is there a way to specify custom conditions?
For example, is there a way to invoke a function in a custom dll in order to determine if a setup prerequisite is to be installed?

2) Are prerequisites specific to Install Shield? Or are they built around Windows Installer?

3) Are the prerequisites stored in a Windows Installer database table just as other setup items?

4) Can we invoke a prerequisite without embedding it in our setup?

5) Do we need to re-run InstallShield X whenever we only update a prerequisite?

Regards,
Marius

RobertDickau
05-18-2004, 10:58 AM
I believe setup prerequisites are limited to those predefined conditions; if you'd like to suggest other types, please visit www.installshield.com/feedback.

Setup prerequisites are unique to InstallShield X; they're not stored in the MSI database, but instead handled by the bootstrap executable Setup.exe before the MSI package is invoked.

The documentation specifies how the prerequisite's files can be stored/packaged (URL, in Setup.exe, externally).

interprojects
05-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi Robert,

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Regards,
Marius