PDA

View Full Version : Merge Modules dependencies not correctly analyzed by ISX + project dep. msm locations

Danillo
05-18-2004, 04:59 AM
I'm working hard on custom built MSM-modules and while digging through documentation and doing several test implementations I came up with some questions / bugs.

1. Problem:
When I have a MSM-module built with ISX including three dependencies and I use it in an InstallSkript MSI project I have following effect:

I select my MSM module in the Redistributables view and it selects all dependent MSMs. When I deselect my module and select it again not all dependent modules are selected anymore.

Is this intended to work that way?

2. Problem:
I have several projects all under source control. I have set up a structure for these projects so I have the installation part and the sourcecode part of the software under different source control. To have everything needed with a project in one location I have defined a 'MergeModules' directory under each project structure. In there I will have all merge modules needed by the project and can backup it together with all other information in the project.

My problem now is, that I haven't found out how I can set project dependent merge module locations. There is only the setting in the options dialog on tab 'Merge Modules' where I can set it globally. But this doesn't help me distinguishing merge modules by project.

Is there any possibility to solve this issue?

Regards
Daniel

David Thornley
05-18-2004, 11:41 AM
1) It should select the dependencies again. This may simply be a refresh issue in the IDE. Can you confirm that by saving the project after reselecting, then close and reopen it and verify these settings. This information will help in trying to reproduce this here.

2) The merge module gallery is global. The only thing that I can think of o circumvent this is to use an environement variable in your merge module search path. You could then change the environment variable as a part of a command line buit process. Not the best solution, but it may get you building the way you want to.

Danillo
05-19-2004, 01:59 AM
1) Yes it is a UI update problem. I hope this will be fixed because it's quite confusing

2) I already have seen the possibility with the environment variables, but I'm not happy with it. I try to make the whole environment for building installations on a computer as easy as possible. A project dependent merge module path would be of great help, I think not only for me.

David Thornley
05-19-2004, 08:59 AM
1) Thanks for the update. I ahve created Work Order 1-NXBDM asking that this be adressed.

2) I didn't mean to imply that your request was without merrit. I was just offering an immediate solution.