PDA

View Full Version : Help with Shortcuts to documents

matrixtech
05-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Hello,

I had no problems creating shortcuts to non-exe files within my install like PDF's and DOC files, and I can see the DS9-created shortcuts to non-exes on projects that I import to ISX, but I cannot figure out how to add new shortcuts to anything but EXE files.

I read and searched the help file, the knowledge base, the forum and couldn't find any answers. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, but I never had any trouble with DevStudio 9 or ISPRO7 or even ISPRO6 with this until ISX.

Please offer any help you can.:confused:

matrixtech
05-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Well,

I deleted all the files from within the project (not from the hard drive). I had originally put them into the "Files and Folders" area via links, which was relatively easy but then I couldn't create shortcuts to any "linked" files-- only explicitly copied files. When I deleted all those linked files and copied every file into the "Destination computer's folders," the "Shortcuts" area will now create shortcuts as expected to non EXE or Key files.

I don't like having to paste all my files into the project, so if someone can tell me why linking files doesn't let me create shortcuts to them, I'd sleep a little better. That's because this project will be complete, not because I stay awake to ponder the mysteries of ISX! ;)

Thanks.

TsungH
05-17-2004, 06:31 PM
I suppose it is Dynamic File Linking when you said linked. When Dynamic File Linking is used, no reference to linked files is made in ISM. The reference to linked files (in File table) will be added into resulting MSI at build time. Hence, creating a shortcut to a linked file isn't feasible. This article (http://helpnet.installshield.com/robo/projects/isxhelp5/ExpressConceptsDynamicFile.htm) from Express 5 (unfortunately, I am not able to find a comparable article for InstallShield X) explains the limitations on Dynamic File Linking and reasons for the limitations.

When files are pasted, borrowing your choice of word, into project, InstallShield X creates the reference in File table in ISM. No file is physically duplicated by this process, if that's what concerns you.