PDA

View Full Version : Custom Action to launch Quicktime installer

Waynee
10-18-2001, 03:37 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to launch the standalone Quicktime 5.0.2 installer in a custom action i.e. QuickTimeInstaller.exe which also relies on another file QuickTimeInstallCache.qdat.

I've put both files into the Support Files list and defined the custom action to start QuickTimeInstaller.exe. It launches at the appropriate time, but it doesn't seem to find the second file.

Any ideas would be great :)

Wayne :confused:

Chandima
10-18-2001, 08:50 AM
When you defined the Custom Action, did you create an Exe types Custom Action that points to the Quicktime Exe? If this is the case it won't work because the file is streamed in to the setup and extracted to some temp location during the install (minus the qdat file).

Couple of Suggestions.
1. Use Package For The Web (or some other similar product) to wrap the Quicktime Exe and the qdat in to one self extracting Setup.exe. Call this exe as a Custom Action. This will then extract everything to a temp location which includes the qdat file as well.

2. Leave the files in "Support Files" and write a Custom Action (in C++ or VBScript) that run's the exe located in the Temp Folder.

Waynee
10-18-2001, 08:45 PM
thanks for the info, yep that's the problem, unfortunately I don't have access to any other software to package the files except InstallShield, and I don't have a C++ compiler...

So if anybody knows of VBScripts to launch and execute the file that would be really really good ;)

(I don't develop in VBScript either, but it seems to be easy to link in the .VBS file...).

Wayne

Chandima
10-19-2001, 08:41 AM
You should be able to Download "Package For The Web" (fro Free) from the InstallShield Website.

You should be able to run MySetup.exe in the Temp Folder with the following VBScript code:

Dim Shell
Dim File

File = %temp%MySetup.exe

Set Shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Shell.Run File

If I am not mistaken %temp% should expand the temp environment variable. You will have to include the VBScriptingRuntime merge module for in your project. This will install the VBScript engine.

Waynee
10-21-2001, 10:26 PM
thank you,

both of those solutions work well thanks! The only change to the solution using VBScript on my system was to enlose the filename in quotes i.e.:

File = "%temp%MySetup.exe"

I also included the VBScriptRuntime and DCOM95 Objects/Merge modules for the VBScript solution.

Wayne