PDA

View Full Version : Embedding MSDE 2000 in an InstallShield X project

DerTom
05-17-2004, 04:21 AM
After trying to embedd an installation of a MSDE 2000 instance into a setup for one of my applications, I am now totally confused.

There are four several ways to go:

- Use MSDE2000 MergeModuls of MS SQLserver CD-ROM
- Use InstallShield MSDE2000 Object for NT Platforms
- Use InstallShield MSDE2000 Object
- Use InstallShield MSDE2000 Prerequisite

My questions:

On Microsoft website (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/distsql/distsql_8yeq.asp) MS writes, that future releases of MSDE do not contain any MergeModules - so it will probably not be a good idea to use MS MergeModules ?

What is the "InstallShield MSDE2000 Object for NT Platforms" ? Is it just for installing an MSDE2000 instance on NT 4 ?

What is the difference between the "InstallShield MSDE 2000 Object for NT Platforms" and "InstallShield MSDE 2000 Object" ?

Using the "InstallShield MSDE 2000 Prerequisite" seems to me as the best way to install an instance of MSDE 2000 - but I want to create an option for the user (e.g. a feature) - so the user can select if he wants to install this. How can I do this ?

Many questions, sorry.

Any help would be appreciated !

Tom

viapoint
06-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Tom

You and I are in the same boat. At least I am in the one you were in. Are you still trying to deploy an App with MSDE?

If you are reply to this post and I'll share my contact info and we can collaborate.

Thanks

DerTom
06-16-2004, 06:41 AM
Hey viapoint,

I have given up. My way now is to ditribute an SFX (created with rar) which installs the MS .NET distributable and then starting a selfmade setup written in C#+ .NET.

But I am still interested in finding a solution. Usually I have not studied the rules for this forum and I do not really know which to go to let you know my email-address without posting it here.

Do you have any idea ?

Greets from germany

Tom

TS_James
06-25-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi

I have been doing a great deal of work on installing MSDE at the moment as we need to distribute it with our application. As far as I know this is how it stands.

InstallShield MSDE2000 Object for NT Platforms is for NT4 or above (i.e. NT4, Win2000 and XP).

InstallShield MSDE2000 Object is for Win9x.

If you need to install MSDE on both it is recommended you use the InstallShield MSDE2000 Prerequisite. The only problem is you then can't let the user decide if they want to install it or not. If they don't already have MSDE 2000 or SQL 2000 then it will be installed.

The method I use is the MSDE2000 Prerequisite. I did consider having both MSDE2000 Object for NT Platforms and MSDE2000 Object.

This way they could be Features that the user could select or you could select using script (depending on wether they wanted to install it and which version of windows they have). Not sure if this would work, can see no reason why not, it would just make your installation bigger as you are including both objects in the project.

Hope this helps.

James