PDA

View Full Version : Multi Feature Install

Ontarget
05-17-2004, 03:05 AM
I'm new to Installshield and my company has given me the task of packaging the latest realease of our product suite, the old version was using InstallShield 5.5. I'm evaluating version X to see if it is suitable.
Just to give a view of what I'm trying to achieve before I start asking for help with the problems I am having:
We have 5 Vb6 applications, 1 .Net WEb Site and 2 .Net Applications to package, an SQL database to create and initialise with script, each feature should be individually selectable, MDAC 2.7 and Internet Explorer are required for certain features(and obviously .net framework for the .net apps).
Ok the problems I am having are:

If I select setup dependancies of MDAC 2.7 & Internet Explorer, I cannot seem to make these dependant only when certain features are selected to install, it is global for the whole release?

If it detects that the dependancy doesn't exist then it doesn't give an option to install it, it just stops the installation after telling the user that MDac is not installed!

I don't want .Net framework installed if the .net feature has not been selected (.Net seems to only be able to be installed in the Releases section?)

The SQL login screen is shown before any features are selected, I only want the SQL login to be shown when the database create feature is selected?

Any help would be appreciated!

mberterm
06-07-2004, 03:10 PM
If I select setup dependancies of MDAC 2.7 & Internet Explorer, I cannot seem to make these dependant only when certain features are selected to install, it is global for the whole release?

>> By associating the merge modules with a feature in the Redistributables view, their components will only be selected for installation if the feature is selected

mberterm
06-07-2004, 03:13 PM
If it detects that the dependancy doesn't exist then it doesn't give an option to install it, it just stops the installation after telling the user that MDac is not installed!

>> It sounds like you are using the Installation Condition as seen in the General Information view. This would be expected behaviour.

To just warn without halting the installation, add your own custom action (EXE, DLL, VBScript or InstallScript) to display a message based on the contents of the related property.

mberterm
06-07-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't want .Net framework installed if the .net feature has not been selected (.Net seems to only be able to be installed in the Releases section?)

>> AdminStudio 5.5 contained DevStudio 9 (the prior version to InstallShield X) with the similar functionality of including the .Net Framework from the Releases section. This is the native manner to include the .Net Framework.

If you were you able to accomplish the desired functionality with AdminStudio 5.5/DevStudio 9, port it to InstallShield X.

An alternate way of providing the desired functionality would be by including the executable redistributable in the Support Files view and executing it with a custom action. The custom action would have a condition on it related to the feature.

Conditional Statement Syntax [Windows Installer] - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msi/setup/conditional_statement_syntax.asp

mberterm
06-07-2004, 03:30 PM
The SQL login screen is shown before any features are selected, I only want the SQL login to be shown when the database create feature is selected

>> Move the location of the dialog to follow the feature selection and conditionalize the sequence.

Displaying Dialogs During Installation in Basic MSI Projects - http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installshieldxhelplib/IHelpEUDialogsInsertIntoSequence.htm