PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to get Device Driver Wizard started.

pbradstreet
05-15-2004, 09:41 PM
I just installed an evaulation copy of Install Shield X Professional, and am having difficulty getting to the Device Driver Wizard. Its either grayed out, or doesn't exist in the right-clicked menu item.

Is this a limitation of the Evaulation Version, (meaning I need to buy before I try), or am I just doing something wrong.

I have a very simple application that I am trying to install - one exe, one dll, and one driver.sys file. I also have a driver.inf file.

I am trying a "InstallScript Project"

From the help file it says I can get to the Device Drive Wizard 2 ways:

[IB]1) In the Setup Design view, right-click a feature and select Device Driver Wizard. The feature that the wizard creates will be a subfeature of the selected feature. [/BI]

I don't see this menu entry (or any wizard entry) in the right-clicked menu under a view.

At top of the screen under the menu/tool bar are 3 pages "Start Page", "Project Assistant" and "Installation Designer". I have the "Installation Designer" page opened. In the 2nd column is a tree starting with "Setup Design", under which are a couple of purple-pie shaped "Features". When I right-click on a "Feature" I get a menu item that has 9 menu items starting with "New Feature" and "New Component", and ending with "Move Left" and "Move Right".

[IB]From the Project menu, select Device Driver Wizard. The feature that the wizard creates will be a root-level feature. [/BI]

The "Device Driver Wizard" entry in the Project Menu is always grayed out.

Any ideas?

johnludlow
05-16-2004, 04:37 AM
You should post your question to the Installscript forum,since many people here have only tried Basic MSI setups.

For what it's worth, I get the option if I right click a feature from the setup design view of a Basic MSI project, and it brings up a wizard.

David Thornley
05-17-2004, 11:05 AM
The device driver wizard is only available in MSI based projects and not in InstallScript projects.