PDA

View Full Version : Device Driver wizard limitation

aditko
05-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I am evaluating what the device driver wizard does. My current project uses a driver that is not fully developed and therefore unsigned. We need to work on the install before the driver is signed (a long process) This needs to be corrected. A warning is ok, but please let the wizard continue. If there is way around this please let me know.

David Thornley
05-14-2004, 11:51 AM
The warning in the wizard exists because the device driver install framework from microsoft will not install your driver if it is not signed. This wizard simply detects this at design time, otherwise we would be having the same conversation only about a runtime failure.

You can sign your driver with a temporary authenticode signature for testing purposes.

The only way to run a package that has an unsigned driver is if you attach a kernel mode debugger to the machine and set the _DFX_INSTALL_UNSIGNED_DRIVER to 1.

MBlocksidge
05-25-2004, 09:29 AM
I am also having to create an install project for a driver that is not yet signed. I apprieciate that it will cause run time errors device driver install framework unless I run the OS under a debugger.

How do I sign the driver with a temporary authenticode signature so that the ISX device driver wizard will complete? I tried specifying a dummy cat file in the drivers' inf file but no joy!

You help is greatly appreciated.

David Thornley
05-25-2004, 05:00 PM
You may want to take a look at this link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/install/hh/install/install-over_1crr.asp

ahmedr
02-12-2005, 01:48 PM
You may want to take a look at this link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/install/hh/install/install-over_1crr.asp
Page Cannot Be Found

We apologize for the inconvenience, but the page you are seeking cannot be found in this location.

If you are looking for a particular document, try the table of contents on the left or look in one of the following areas:

* For content pertaining to a specific product or technology, try the MSDN Site Map.
* For Web Workshop content that has been migrated into the MSDN Library, try either the Internet Development Entry Page or the Internet Development Index.