PDA

View Full Version : COM+ Application and updates

canice
05-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Hello,

If I configure a COM+ Application server using either the 'Component Services View' or by importing an MSI export , when I rebuild the installer will it pick up the latest DLL's that contain the COM+ components ?

From reading the InstallShield help, it is not clear how to associated the contents of the COM+ Application server with the DLLs that contain the objects and methods for the application - it appears that you already have to have the COM+ Application installed on the installer build server.

Some background info on my setup might help:
Our product has a web server that talks to a COM+ application which implements our business and database layers. The COM+ componets are contained in a number (6) DLLs which may change on each release.

We have a build system which launches the installer build as well. So when any of the components change (eg new objects/methods) we need the installer to pick up the latest version.

Do I have to manually edit the COMPlus table to implement this ?, if so is there any good tutorials out there for this ?

Cheers,
Canice.

hidenori
05-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi,

If you use the Component Services View, your COM+ DLLs will be automatically added to your project when you select your COM+ application in the view. The latest DLLs will get built into your setup each time you rebuild your release, and InstallShield X COM+ runtime will register your COM+ components using the DLLs when you install the setup.

However, a problem that we currently have is that your DLLs will not be re-registered if old ones have already been registered on your system. This behavior has been submitted under the work order #1-NPDAP and it will be fixed in the first service pack of InstallShield X. Also, I have a custom fix for the problem. Please email me at hidenoriy@installshield.com if you need it.

Hope this helps.
Hidenori Yamanishi
InstallShield Software Corporation

canice
05-17-2004, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the info, when I rebuild the msi the latest DLLs were used.

At the moment I'm just evaluating the software so it's not critical that I get it to re-register the DLL's.

On a separate note, I added some more components to my installer (a IIS configuration and several dynamic files components) and now I'm getting the following error "error -5041: The string ID "_CD4BEB0B5EBF447A92A245091E12FA4B" was used to specify a Component or Feature destination"

I looked up the -5041 error in the help and it states this is caused when a feature/component has a default directory that contains a string table ID.

However this appears to be a GUID rather than a string ID. I also searched the whole project for this GUID and cannot find it, so I'm not sure how to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated,
Canice.

hidenori
05-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Go to the Directory table in the Direct Editor and check to see if you have an entry with ##_CD4BEB0B5EBF447A92A245091E12FA4B## of the DefaultDir column. If the directory is specified for a component destination, you will receive the build error. The build engine assumes that it is a string ID that is not resolved. To fix it, change the DefaultDir value to something valid.

Hidenori Yamanishi