PDA

View Full Version : windows installer DLL with VB?

djemberay
05-13-2004, 06:31 PM
I'd like to write a windows installer dll with VB? All the sample I see are in C++. Is it possible with VB? Thank you,

-raymond burket

RobertDickau
05-14-2004, 08:27 AM
No, one can't write a "Windows Installer DLL" in VB: Windows Installer DLLs need to export C-callable functions.

You can, however, write a VBScript custom action to call a method from a registered COM DLL written with Visual Basic...

djemberay
05-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks for verifying Robert. I kinda got that impression. I'm wanting to use it for filling in some fields in the install dialogs. Since it sounds as though the VB .DLL needs to be installed and registered, I'm assuming I can't use it for this purpose (even via VB script) since the dialogs occur before any installations.

I think I can do what I need in VB script so I'm doing that, but for future reference, I'm curious as to the whether one could in any way use a VB .DLL to preload dialog fields (properties).

Thank you!

-raymond

RobertDickau
05-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Raymond,

As you say, you'd need to temporarily install and register the VB DLL in order to use code from it, but if you were to do that it seems it should work...

--- Robert