PDA

View Full Version : Help, end-user problems, InstallShield Wizard hangs!

BZALongfellow
05-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Forgive me folks, I know not where this should go so I'm posting it here.

For the last month or so, a strange problem has cropped up with my PC.

When I attempt to install a piece of software from a CD, or a downloaded patch-file that is assembled with InstallShield Wizard, the installation hangs at the *beginning* for 10-12 minutes then kicks into gear and starts the installation.

This is *VERY* annoying and I dont know what to do!

I have posted on numerous tech sites and have the "experts" stumped so I have turned to the source.

Can any of you help me with this issue.

Things I have done trying to fix it.

1. Replaced CD Rom (I thought it may be the problem... nope)
2. Added a second HDD and tried installations to it (nope, not the problem either)
3. Ran virus scans from 3 compaines, McAfee, Norton, and a freebie online one (nope, clean as a whistle!)
4. Ran Spy-ware searches from Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy (some random stuff, nothing major... pretty clean system)
5. Shortened the path for my temp files directory (found this one from a google search... no help)
6. Ran all windows updates and patches. (Problem still persists)

Another strange problem.... when I try to run "Disk Cleanup" and Windows XP "Scans old compress files" at the beginning of this process, it hangs forever and does not recover and requires a ctr-alt-del to kill the program. Could these be related?

System specs.

AMD Barton 2500+ XP CPU
1 GB Crucial PC2700 DDR
Windows XP Pro w/ SP1
MSI Nforce2 Motherboard
1x 80 GB 7200 8MB Cache Western Dig. HDD
1x 40 GB 7200 2MB Cache Maxtor HDD
1x Samsung 52x CD-R/RW Combo.
5 x 80mm Case Fans (Mentioned to remove temp. from suspicion).

Can any of you help? Thanks!

-Brian

johnludlow
05-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Your first port of call should be http:\\consumer.installshield.com

I actually had a similar issue some time back with my PC. I'm still not too sure of the cause, but you can try disabling System Restore for the moment.

Another culprit could be a virus scanner. It may be scanning the exe when you run it.

Task Manager might give some clues here, or (even better) Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com

The Disk Cleanup may just be it finding lots to do.

Another tool from SysInternals - FileMon - will tell you what's happening on your HDD.

Using these tools (or tools like them), you can track down what's taking it so long. If it turns out for example that the System Restore process is using 80% CPU, then that'll be why it's being slow.

boongey
06-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey,

I just had thios problem myself, fixed it by doing this,

go here,

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

If you have windows XP download the WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe
file

then turn off your computer let it update switch it back on then it should work, it did for me.

cheers.